After rising to the position of vice president of engineering technology at International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF), one of the top priorities for Steve Huang G’72, G’75 was to build a culture that supported the needs of everyone in the…
12 Undergraduate Students Awarded WiSE Summer Research Funds
Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) awarded research funds to twelve student researchers through its 2021 Summer Undergraduate Research Support Program. The program seeks to promote research participation among women in STEM fields, with awards supplementing students’ existing grants to conduct research during the summer of 2021.
Catherine Campbell, one of the selected students, received WiSE funds to augment the Parker Award for Women in Science, which she received through the Renée Crown University Honors Program. During the summer, Campbell is working with the SARS-CoV-2 Nucleocapsid protein to complete her honors capstone project.
“I study the phase separation of intrinsically disordered proteins in the Bah Lab, a part of the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Department at Upstate Medical University,” says Campbell. “Through WiSE, I have received funding that will help me stay the summer in Syracuse and allow me to meet like-minded students also pursuing research.”
As part of the WiSE research program, selected students work with faculty mentors for ten weeks of full-time research on a variety of projects across Syracuse University and Upstate Medical University labs. Students are also involved in a series of WiSE developmental workshops and each present a poster with their findings at the SOURCE/College of Arts and Sciences and College of Engineering and Computer Science undergraduate research conferences in August.
The 2021 WiSE Summer Research awardees are listed below:
- Catherine Campbell, medicinal chemistry and physics
- Elizabeth Cultra, environmental engineering
- Alexandra Hayes, public health
- Oduduabasi James Isaiah, chemical engineering
- Katherine Loveland, biology, minor in medical anthropology
- Xinyue Mao, mathematics
- Emily Marsh, biology
- Alex Middleton, communication sciences and disorders, minor in LGBT studies
- Nathania Pabon, neuroscience and psychology
- Alexandra Patten, biology and forensic science
- Michelle Shanguhyia, medicinal chemistry and forensic science
- Aijing Wu, mathematics, minor in computer engineering
To learn more about the WiSE Summer Undergraduate Research Support Program and other WiSE programs, visit their website.