“We live in an increasingly digital environment and our students need to have a specific set of skills to function in society and to succeed in any career,” says Jian Qin, professor and program director of the master of library…
Renewed Search Underway for iSchool Dean, Dean Gene Anderson to Chair Search Committee
Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele G. Wheatly today announced the membership of a renewed search committee tasked with finding the next dean of the School of Information Studies (iSchool). In May, Wheatly announced the appointment of David Seaman, dean of Syracuse University Libraries and University librarian, to the interim position of iSchool dean, in addition to his leadership of the University Libraries. Longtime iSchool Dean Liz Liddy retired in May.
Chairing the iSchool dean search committee will be Gene Anderson, dean of the Martin J. Whitman School of Management. “Gene is committed to finding just the right kind of leader needed at the helm of the iSchool during this critical time when its disciplines are in increasingly high demand by undergraduate, professional and graduate students,” Wheatly says. “The iSchool has a stellar reputation and will no doubt attract an impressive pool of applicants.”
Other members of the committee include the following:
- Caroline Haythornthwaite, professor and director of the M.S. in library and information science program, iSchool
- Jill Hurst-Wahl, professor of practice, iSchool
- Chris Johnson, associate provost for academic affairs
- Christine Larsen, trustee, Board of Trustees; member, Board of Advisors, iSchool
- Leonard Lopoo, professor, Maxwell School
- Jae Oh, professor and chair, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, College of Engineering and Computer Science; University senator
- Christine Parker, incoming chair, Board of Advisors, iSchool
- Jeffrey Rubin, member, Board of Advisors, and associate professor of practice, iSchool
- Jennifer Stromer-Galley, professor, iSchool
- Matt Ter Molen, senior vice president, chief advancement officer
- Art Thomas, associate dean for academic affairs and professor of practice, iSchool
- Sarah Weber, director of employer relations, iSchool
- Lu Xiao, associate professor, iSchool; University senator
- Hanna Yacubov, undergraduate student, iSchool
- Yaxing Yao, Ph.D. student, iSchool
The iSchool is nationally recognized for innovative programs in information policy, information behavior, information management, information systems, information technology, information services, data analytics and enterprise data systems.
The search firm of Russell Reynolds Associates will be assisting the search committee in its work. A full description of the job posting can be found on the Syracuse University Job Opportunities website.