Diversity in science matters to breakthroughs. When more scientists with varied backgrounds and experiences fill laboratories and collaborate on teams, outcomes in innovation and discovery surpass those of less diverse scientific groups, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH)….
13th Annual WISE Symposium to Feature Expert Women Speaking on Innovation, Entrepreneurial Experience
Women Igniting the Spirit of Entrepreneurship (WISE) is bringing powerhouse guest speakers to the 13th annual WISE Symposium on Tuesday, April 21, to inspire an anticipated audience of 1,000 at the Carrier Dome. The event runs from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and features a full day of activities, speakers and opportunities for networking.
SU students can register for free tickets to the symposium, thanks to a sponsorship by IDEA, a cross-campus collaboration for entrepreneurship. Syracuse University faculty and staff have access to a 25 percent discount on conference tickets.
Maria Contreras-Sweet, who became the 24th administrator of the U.S. Small Business Administration and a member of President Obama’s Cabinet in 2014, is the morning keynote speaker. Her presentation, “The State of Women Entrepreneurs,” aims to encourage and inspire attendees to follow their entrepreneurial dreams.
Tory Johnson will deliver the afternoon keynote address, “Make the Shift: How to Change Your Mind to Get What You Want,” in which she’ll unveil her entrepreneurial journey and how she made the shift from employee to entrepreneur and built two multi-million-dollar career-focused businesses—Women For Hire and Spark & Hustle.
Another highly anticipated speaker, Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud, will discuss his vision of entrepreneurship—from campus to community and beyond.
Additional 2015 WISE Symposium speakers include:
- Shanti Das, also known as the Hip Hop Professional, an accomplished music marketing industry executive, consultant, mentor, entrepreneur, philanthropist, author and radio co-host
- Sandra Gault, founder of True Gault, a high-tech endeavor uses 3D measuring technology to create a custom pair of high heels that is true to each individual foot
- Jamila Payne, founder of Soul Purpose Co., an online magazine and community for high-achieving entrepreneurs and career women who believe they can have a thriving life and career and refuse to choose between the two
- Ritu Bhasin, people strategist, diversity specialist and founder/principal of bhasin consulting inc.
- local women entrepreneurs and business/leadership experts who will be sharing their experiences, challenges and insights on a variety of topics
“The WISE Symposium is an amazing event to foster new connections and to inspire women—including entrepreneurs, community supporters, business leaders and anyone interested in innovation,” says Lindsay Wickham, events and communications manager for the WISE Symposium. “This continues at the WISE Women’s Business Center, which supports the growth and success of passionate individuals and entrepreneurs throughout the year.”
Other key opportunities and attractions at the WISE Symposium include an interactive business expo, networking with fellow delegates and exhibitors throughout the day, breakout sessions on special topics, a digital media lounge, on-site WISE Women’s Business Center featuring one-on-one counseling sessions, WISE Latinas roundtable, WISE Veterans resources and the pre-symposium training seminar “Marketing Bootcamp” offered by Soul Purpose Co.
Tickets prices include breakfast, lunch, networking tailgate and access to all speakers and sessions and are available as follows:
- registration for tickets as a student (free)
- registration for discounted tickets as SU faculty/staff (25 percent discount)
- registration for conference tickets for general public ($100)
The WISE Symposium is organized in conjunction with the WISE Women’s Business Center and was launched by the Falcone Center for Entrepreneurship, located in the Whitman School of Management, which has provided critical event support since its inception in 2003. WISE fosters the pursuit of entrepreneurial opportunities of women from all walks of life and sponsor events to promote entrepreneurial thinking among women in the Central New York region.
For more information, contact Wickham at 315-443-3550 or email@example.com.