The FCC recently adopted new rules that prohibit “digital discrimination,” a term for policies or practices that limit broadband access based on income level, race, ethnicity, color, religion, or national origin. The rules will allow the commission to investigate complaints…
Featured Media Coverage – Week of Oct. 23
Syracuse University thought leaders, events and research news were showcased in the following news outlets this week:
- Lynne Vincent, assistant professor of management at the Whitman School, was quoted in a CBS News article about 7,000 Stellantis factory workers joining the UAW strike.
- Robert Thompson, media professor at the Newhouse School, spoke with The Guardian about female celebrities and the questionable future success of their memoirs, and with KRSO (ABC News Radio) about the Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour movie.
- Torrey Grant, adjunct professor from Falk College, shared his expertise with The Zoe Report for the story “These Sommelier-Approved Red Wines Will Bring On Instant Fall Vibes.“
- Osamah Khalil, a history professor at the Maxwell School, spoke with Al Jazeera for the story “Biden’s Israel trip displays ‘performative’ approach to Gaza war: analysts.”
- Erin Hern, a professor in the political science department at Maxwell, was quoted in a MSN Italy article about the beauty of Africa.
- Shubha Ghosh, Crandall Melvin Professor of Law at the College of Law, is in the IPWatchDog story “Latest Copyright Suit against Generative AI Targets Anthropic’s ‘Claude’.”
- Carol Liebler, professor of communications at the Newhouse School, was referenced in an NBC.com piece about missing white woman syndrome.
- Austin Garner, assistant professor in the College of Arts & Sciences, was interviewed on the Academic Minute on the topic “Sea Urchins Can’t “Get a Grip” on Climate Change.”
- Dave Meluni, a sports management professor at Falk College, was quoted in the Spectrum News article “Syracuse, other NCAA athletes working more with online vendors.”
- Tristan Martin and Tyler Sliker, both professors at Falk College, were guest columnists in a Syracuse.com article about gender affirming care saving the lives of transgender people.
- Michiko Ueda-Ballmer, associate professor at the Maxwell School, was quoted Foreign Policy article “Cash Can’t Fix Japan’s Fertility Crisis” and The New York Times article “Shoving Attack Renews Calls for M.T.A. to Make Subway Platforms Safer.”
- Michael Barkun, Professor Emeritus at the Maxwell School, was featured in The Economist article “Part of Donald Trump’s base thinks he is fighting a spiritual war.”
- Duncan Brown, the vice president of research, was interviewed for the Spectrum News story “N.Y. schools embracing STEM amid Micron build, manufacturing surge.”