Four students from the Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics‘ sport analytics program will travel to Dallas, Texas, Feb. 21-22 to compete in the AXS National Collegiate Sports Analytics Championship and defend Syracuse’s national title. Seniors Collin Kneiss, Nicholas…
Supporting Student Wellness Series: Trans and Gender Affirming Services
Honoring unique experiences and goals, Trans and Gender Affirming Services encompasses resources supportive of holistic health and wellness. When explored through the Barnes Center at The Arch Wellness Wheel, Trans and Gender Affirming Services embraces Emotional Wellness, Environmental Wellness, Physical Wellness and Social Wellness, in addition to the Wellness Wheel Core of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility and more.
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) Resource Center and the Barnes Center offer strong foundations of support. As teams actively collaborate to create an unsurpassed student experience, LGBTQ Resource Center Director Jorge A. Castillo encourages students to begin where they are comfortable and explore all avenues of support. “The many resources and services available at Syracuse University are unique, and the Barnes Center staff participate in continuing education to ensure knowledge of and increase support for LGBTQ health and wellness. By bringing together folks with different levels of expertise and increasing access, we can ensure that everyone is able to provide and experience the most inclusive services possible,” says Castillo.
Trans and Gender Affirming Services, Health and Wellness
The Barnes Center team enhances the student experience through holistic wellness by strengthening connections across health care, recreation, counseling, campus partners, education and more. As a result, the connected campus community works to remove barriers and increase access to care.
A collaborative leader of these initiatives is Dr. Karen Nardella, Barnes Center at The Arch medical director. “Students benefit by having every aspect of their health and wellness addressed when considering, starting and throughout Trans and Gender Affirming Services,” says Nardella.
Highlighted resources are listed below. For more information and a comprehensive list, visit the Trans and Gender Affirming Services webpage. Students can make appointments by calling the Barnes Center at The Arch at 315.443.8000.
- Gender affirming care, wellness exams, health and wellness supplies (e.g. chest binders, KT Tape) and more.
- Initiation, training, monitoring, nutritional counseling and more for hormone therapy.
- Official letters and documentation of name and gender (e.g. passports, drivers licenses and more).
- A diverse team of Barnes Center counselors provide a variety of therapeutic styles and services through group therapy offerings such as the LGBTQIA+ Therapy Group in addition to individual counseling.
- Free, discreet and inclusive sexual health care supplies are available through the Safer Sex Express.
Exploring Identity and Finding Community
Seeking to be a campus and regional leader delivering support, community and education around marginalized genders and sexualities, and the complex intersections of our multiple identities, is the LGBTQ Resource Center. Highlighted resources and programs include those listed below. For more information, visit the LGBTQ Resource Center website.
- Committee for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Asexual (LGBTQA) Justice and Advocacy
- LGBTQ+ Living Learning Community
- One-on-One Advising
- “Queer &” Discussion Series
- Queer and Trans People of Color Affinity Group
- Queer Mentorship Program
- Trans Affinity Group
- Trans at Syracuse University
Creating a Welcoming Campus for All
Castillo also wants students to know on-campus resources are guided by student feedback. “We will continue updating and improving all services alongside the changing needs of our LGBTQ students,” he says. In addition to the aforementioned services and resources, the following are also available.
- Allyship 101 Wellness Leadership Institute Workshop
- Gender Inclusive Bathrooms Map
- LGBTQ+ 101 Wellness Leadership Institute Workshop
- Pronoun Competency Workshop
- Safe Zone Training
- STOP Bias and Hate Training and Reporting
- Trans 101 Training
- Updating preferred names and personal pronouns in MySlice.
About the Supporting Student Wellness Series
Through a student-focused lens of integrated health and wellness, this series explores a variety of Barnes Center at The Arch resources and services. In the pursuit of enhancing the student experience, topics empower faculty, staff, students, families and supporters, as catalysts of health and wellness within their daily interactions.