Dear Students, Faculty, Staff and Families: Over the last several weeks, the University has provided a lot of information about return to campus, including related to move-in, testing, quarantining, campus life, etc. We recognize that all this information can be…
Submit Your Favorite Recipe to Food Services
You don’t have to be a hardcore foodie to know that food plays a powerful role in our lives. Sometimes, the smell of a familiar meal or a beloved baked good can be deeply meaningful, especially when we’re far away from home.
The five dining centers at Syracuse University serve thousands of meals each day – hot, cold, snacks, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian and everything in between.
Even with all of those choices, sometimes students want their favorite food, or a recipe that reminds them of home. What are these special recipes? Would you share them with Food Services, so that they can serve these foods in campus dining centers?
Students can submit their favorite recipes on the Food Services website. They can type out the recipe, or upload a file to the site to share. The Food Services menu committee will review submitted recipes to consider for the menu. The menu committee will evaluate these factors:
- Ingredients: If the ingredients are hard to find or are not part of our regular stock, Food Services’ purchasing agents will plan how to source them.
- Method: It is important that the recipe can be replicated on a large scale. If the recipe requires many steps or takes a long time to cook, Food Services may have to alter the recipe slightly in order to produce it in large quantities.
- Quantity: In order to serve thousands of people, the ingredients will have to be scaled appropriately. This may require time, as not all ingredients are easily multiplied.
After the recipe is reviewed, the menu committee will test the recipe and consider adding it to the dining center menu. Once the menu item is approved, it will be tested in a dining center, and the student who submitted the recipe will be invited to taste test to give feedback on the final product!
Here are a few considerations to keep in mind as you plan the recipe you wish to submit:
- Some in our community have dietary needs and restrictions. Therefore, Food Services cannot produce food that contains peanuts or tree nuts. The Syracuse University Cook Chill and Production Kitchen are certified free from peanut and tree nut (except coconut) allergens by Kitchens with Confidence™ by MenuTrinfo®
- If this is a much-loved handwritten recipe, make sure it’s legible before uploading!
- If ingredients in the recipe may be difficult to source in large quantities, please suggest alternatives for these items, if possible.
If you have any questions, please contact Food Services by emailing email@example.com, or by calling 315-443-3803.