Dear Students, Faculty, Staff and Families, This is a critical time of preparation as many faculty and staff return to campus this summer, and as we plan to welcome back thousands of students next month. You will continue to see…
Celebrate the Opening of the Barnes Center at The Arch on Friday
This Friday, Sept. 13, history will be made on Syracuse University’s campus with the official opening of the Barnes Center at The Arch, the state-of-the-art health, wellness and recreation complex. Campus community members are encouraged to attend a 3:45 p.m. ceremony and open house to celebrate the University’s commitment to transforming the student experience for generations to come.
Differentiating itself from any other college wellness system, the Barnes Center includes an integrated wellness team delivering student-centered, inclusive care and programs that approach health and wellness holistically, encompassing mind, body, spirit and community.
The opening celebration will begin with an official ceremony and unveiling outside of the Barnes Center. Veteran sportscaster Sean McDonough ’84, recipient of this year’s George Arents Award, will emcee the event. Chancellor Kent Syverud and Board of Trustees Chairman Emeritus Steven W. Barnes ’82 will offer remarks about the continued momentum the Barnes Center brings to create an unsurpassed student experience.
After the ceremony, attendees are invited to enter the Barnes Center for a donor recognition event, led by Izmailia Sougoufara ’20, peer educator, as well as an open house featuring:
- Free commemorative giveaways will line the halls of the Barnes Center, including fitness socks and reusable travel cups.
- Smoothie samples from Otto’s Juice Box, the student-named juice bar within the Barnes Center.
- It wouldn’t be a celebration without cake! Carrot and vanilla cake in the shape of the Barnes Center will be served.
- The Health Hub, an interactive outreach program designed to promote wellness and encourage a healthy campus community, will be staffed by peer educators.
- Pet therapy will be in full swing and open to all in the Walters Pet Therapy Room until 6 p.m.
- Set aside time to try out a massage chair, use biofeedback tools or experience one of the other stress-reducing activities in the Crowley Family MindSpa.
- The new recreation area of the Barnes Center at The Arch will be on full display with lots of activity, including demonstrations of how spaces are used by students.
- The campus community is invited to view photos from the Archives, sharing history of the building over the years.
For those unable to attend the event in person, please tune into the livestream on the official Syracuse University Facebook account.
American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation and Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) will be provided during the ceremony. For more information, please contact the Office of Special Events at 315.443.4631 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.