For the 21st year, Syracuse University will welcome nearly 100 fifth-grade students from the Syracuse City School District’s Seymour Dual Language Academy. Called Shadow Day, this tradition for both Syracuse University and Seymour has become a day that both fifth…
2018-19 Winter Break/Orange Appreciation Days Operating Schedule Announced
The University will be operating under its Orange Appreciation Days format for the Winter Break period from 5 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 21, 2018, through Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019.
During the Holiday/Orange Appreciation Days period:
- All academic and administrative buildings will be locked or closed.
- Building temperatures will be lowered to 60 degrees, unless prior arrangements have been made.
Request for Building Access:
If you require your building to be open over the Winter Break/Orange Appreciation Days period, please submit a request to your building coordinator, noting the specific dates and times. Requests should be made by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 19. (Note that faculty and staff will be able to access all buildings, as usual, by swiping their SUID cards, even when the buildings are locked.)
Request for Adjustments to Temperature and Lighting:
Deans, directors and department heads may submit a detailed request for adjustments to temperature and lighting during the Winter Break/Orange Appreciation Days period. Please review the University’s temperature guidelines. Requests should be made using the online form by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 19. Requests will be reviewed and approved by either the vice president and chief facilities officer or the provost.
Important: Buildings Not Affected During Winter Break/Orange Appreciation Days:
Due to academic and research needs, the following buildings will be excluded from these adjustments and will remain on normal access, temperature and lighting settings:
- Heroy Geology Laboratory
- Bowne Hall – Fourth Floor
- Lyman Hall – Fourth Floor
- Sims Hall – Department of Public Safety
- Center for Science and Technology
- Bird Library — Operating hours are listed on the library website
- Life Sciences Complex
- Link Hall
- Physics Building
- Women’s Building
Additional information regarding Winter Break/Orange Appreciation Days services and resources:
- University services available during Winter Break/Orange Appreciation Days: http://news.syr.edu/winterbreak/
- HR Winter Break/Orange Appreciation Days info: https://hr.syr.edu/benefits/paid-time-off-and-leaves/winter-break-orange-appreciation-days
- Winter Break/Orange Appreciation Days FAQ: https://hr.syr.edu/benefits/paid-time-off-and-leaves/winter-break-orange-appreciation-days/orange-appreciation-days-faq
- Winter Break Energy Saving Tips: http://sustainability.syr.edu/
Questions on building occupancy may be directed to the Department of Energy Systems and Sustainability Management at 315.443.1535 or email@example.com.