Syracuse University and the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) today announced they have signed a first-of-its-kind agreement, creating an alliance designed to connect institutions, students-athletes, staff and alumni. The 10-year partnership, which is already underway, creates multiple opportunities for collaboration between…
New Campus Facilities Advisory Board Created, Membership Announced
Michele G. Wheatly, vice chancellor and provost, and Pete Sala, vice president and chief facilities officer, will co-chair a new Campus Facilities Advisory Board, Provost Wheatly announced at the January 18 University Senate meeting. Professor Cathryn Newton, special advisor to the Chancellor and the Provost, will serve as lead faculty advisor to the board.
The Campus Facilities Advisory Board will assess all academic and non-academic investments within the Campus Framework. This board will also be charged with developing best practices for all campus engagement, decision-making and communication, particularly in relation to renovation, new construction and best use of facilities.
“The Campus Facilities Advisory Board will play an important role as we move forward with the implementation of the Academic Strategic Plan and Campus Framework,” says Provost Wheatly. “Not only will this board ensure alignment of the University’s academic vision, mission and infrastructure, it will also provide the leadership and insight necessary to make critical decisions regarding campus facilities with broad institutional impacts.”
The Campus Facilities Advisory Board will provide guidance on the following initiatives:
- Phasing and Scope of New Construction: Review of building program, building site, regulatory implications and impacts on campus space.
- Phasing and Scope of Major Renovations: Review of renovation program, building and grounds areas affected, regulatory implications and impacts on campus space.
- Campus Space Planning: Review impacts of new construction and major renovations on campus space, and provide review and approval authority to space utilization plans.
- Campus Architectural Standards: Review and provide guidance on campus architectural standards to Campus Planning, Design and Construction.
The board members include:
- Kevin Bailey, Assistant Dean and Chief Information Officer in the Whitman School of Management
- Tony Callisto, Senior Vice President and Chief Law Enforcement Officer
- Julia Czerniak, Associate Dean and Professor in the School of Architecture
- Dolan Evanovich, Senior Vice President for Enrollment and the Student Experience
- Rochelle Ford, Chair of and Professor in the Department of Public Relations in the Newhouse School of Public Communications
- Sterling Grimes ’17, College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Julie Hasenwinkel, Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Professor in the College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Arlene Kanter, Laura J. and L. Douglas Professor of Teaching Excellence, Professor of Law and Director, Disability Law and Policy Program in the College of Law
- Mary Lovely, Chair of the International Relations Program and Professor of Economics in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
- Cathryn Newton, Special Advisor to the Chancellor and Provost for Faculty Engagement, Dean Emerita of the College of Arts and Sciences and Professor of Earth Sciences and Interdisciplinary Sciences
- Kennedy Patlan ’18, College of Arts and Sciences
- Karin Ruhlandt, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Pete Sala, Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer (Co-Chair)
- Sarah Scalese, Associate Vice President for University Communications
- Sam Scozzafava, Vice President and Chief Information Officer
- Michael Speaks, Dean of the School of Architecture
- Michael Tick, Dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Diane Wiener, Director of the Disability Cultural Center
- Michele G. Wheatly, Vice Chancellor and Provost (Co-Chair)
Several professional staff members in the Office of Campus Planning, Design and Construction will also advise the board, including:
- Joseph Alfieri, Director of Campus Planning, Design and Construction
- Christopher Danek, Assistant Director for Space Planning; Campus Planning, Design and Construction
- Brenda Law, Design and Document Manager in the Office of Campus Planning, Design and Construction
- Jason Plumpton, Senior Project Engineer in the Office of Campus Planning, Design and Construction
The board will meet a minimum of four times per year, beginning in February 2017. Each member will serve a two-year term, with a possible extension into a third year.