Roy Gutterman, Associate Professor of Newspaper and Online Journalism and Director of the Tully Center for Free Speech, was featured in the NewsChannel 9 story “Could social media impact your right to bear arms? NYS Senator introduces bill.” “Everybody has…
Energy Systems & Sustainability Management is new department name for ECM
Syracuse University’s Energy and Computing Management (ECM) department has been renamed Energy Systems & Sustainability Management (ESSM). The name change comes after the department restructured last summer and its computing group, which serves Business, Finance, and Administrative Services (BFAS), became part of Information Technology and Services (ITS).
“It made a lot of sense from an overall efficiency standpoint to consolidate the University’s administrative computing support function under ITS,” says Tim Sweet, director of Energy Systems & Sustainability Management. “In addition to our continuing focus on energy systems, this change allowed our department to restructure itself to better support the sustainability goals of the University. Our new department name now clearly reflects these core service areas.”
ESSM currently consists of 54 full-time staff and the following primary functional areas:
- Energy Management System and Operations–Monitoring, scheduling and maintenance of automated heating, ventilation, air conditioning, lighting and building access systems;
- Climate Operations Center–Energy procurement, accounting, analysis, grants and conservation;
- Steam Station–Production of steam and chilled water for North Campus heating and cooling, as well as steam for several external customers;
- Orange Automation–New installations of automated heating, ventilation, air conditioning, lighting and access systems for both new and existing buildings; and
- Sustainability Division–Creation, coordination and promotion of campus sustainability programs and services, including SU’s Climate Action Plan (CAP) implementation and greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories.
The ECM restructuring affected 11 staff who have all been retained by the University and are now working in the same or similar roles for the new group Administrative Computing Services (ACS) under ITS.
SU’s Energy Systems & Sustainability Management website is currently under construction and will be available shortly. For more information about ESSM, call (315) 443-3088.