Karen Davis’ ’83, G’90 desire to create a welcoming environment for all has permeated every corner of the College of Engineering and Computer Science (ECS). Building the college’s career services from the ground up and becoming the assistant dean of…
Message from Student Experience Division Leadership
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
We are writing this evening to address events that occurred on our campus today. Because of federal student privacy laws, we are limited in what we can share, but communicating directly with our community is paramount when dealing with issues of violence on our campus.
This afternoon at around 3:30 p.m., the Department of Public Safety received multiple reports of a physical assault occurring inside the Whitman School building. Officers responded immediately and identified a suspect, a Syracuse University student, who was later taken into custody and charged with the reported assault and resisting arrest.
Officers responding to the scene determined it was necessary to physically remove the individual from a classroom setting after he refused to leave with officers voluntarily. The circumstances of the arrest are under formal review to ensure proper protocols and procedures were followed.
There were students in the classroom at the time of the arrest, and we have been made aware that video of the alleged assault and the subsequent arrest were captured on cell phones. We recognize that today’s events are deeply upsetting for many in our community, especially those who witnessed the initial assault and the subsequent apprehension. Please know that there are resources available to you, including:
- Support services are available at the Barnes Center at The Arch by calling 315.443.8000.
- Additional resources and reporting information is available by contacting:
- Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services: 315.443.4018, EqualOpp@syr.edu
- Center for International Services: 315.443.2457, email@example.com
- Student Outreach and Retention: 315.443.4357, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Multicultural Affairs: 315.443.0228, email@example.com
- Faculty and staff can reach trained clinicians 24 hours a day, seven days a week through Carebridge, the University’s Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, by calling 800.437.0911.
- Hendricks Chapel is also available to all campus community members seeking additional support and services. The chapel can be reached at 315.443.2901.
- To report a crime, call 315.443.2224. You can also submit an anonymous tip through the Silent Witness tool or the Rave Guardian mobile app.
Please know that we take these matters very seriously, and will ensure that fairness and due process are afforded to all impacted by today’s events.
Senior Vice President and Chief Student Experience Officer
Vice President and Deputy to the Senior Vice President
Vice President and Dean of Students