Syracuse University Press is participating in Path to Open, a groundbreaking collaboration between university presses, libraries and JSTOR, to promote sustainable open-access publishing of high-quality scholarly eBooks and increase meaningful engagement with them. Through the program, Syracuse University Press will…
New Members of the Task Force on Sexual and Relationship Violence Announced
Chancellor Kent Syverud has announced the new members of the Task Force on Sexual and Relationship Violence for 2021-22. Robert D. Hradsky, vice president for the student experience and dean of students, and Diane Lyden Murphy, dean of the Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, continue as task force co-chairs.
The task force plays a significant role in the University’s effort to identify and shape the opportunities to further improve sexual violence prevention, education and advocacy services at the University.
Since its creation in 2015, the task force’s charge has been to review the University’s policies, services and procedures around issues of sexual assault and relationship violence every semester. Members examine best practices at other colleges and universities and propose changes that may strengthen current systems and structures.
“The task force continues to look at how we can advance the University’s efforts in sexual assault and relationship violence services and prevention and education efforts,” Murphy says. “Our work is that of the entire campus community—to be aware of and work to prevent interpersonal violence to ensure a respectful campus for all.”
A critical piece of work this year has been the recent creation and launch of the Sexual and Relationship Violence Resources website, a hub of information on sexual and relationship violence-related advocacy services, educational opportunities, policies and reporting options. The website came together through the efforts of the teams of people in various units who work with those impacted by sexual and relationship violence and offer preventative training and programs, along with student voices.
“The new website is another powerful example of the network of services available and our many resources and people who work to eliminate interpersonal violence and support those affected by it,” Hradsky says. “The task force, along with the many campus partners involved in this work, prioritizes the safety and well-being of our students, which is represented in the website.”
The task force is composed of the following members for 2021-22:
- Rob Hradsky, vice president for the student experience and dean of students, co-chair
- Diane Lyden Murphy, dean, David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, co-chair
- Kyra Birenbaum ’23, student representative, peer educator
- Randi Bregman, executive director, Vera House Inc.
- Dana Broadnax, assistant dean of students
- Katelyn Cowen, director of health promotion, Barnes Center at The Arch
- Jeremiah Deep, campus ministry, Hendricks Chapel
- Sheriah Dixon, director, Community Standards
- Virginia Evans, staff therapist, Barnes Center at The Arch
- Herman Frazier, deputy director of athletics
- Wei Gao, associate director of operations and outreach, Center for International Services
- Andy Gordon, senior vice president and chief human resources officer
- Maximilian Holmberg ’24, student representative, Interfraternity Council
- Huey Hsiao, associate director, Multicultural Affairs
- Tim Johnson, associate director, Student Activities
- Sheila Johnson-Willis, associate vice president and chief equal opportunity and Title IX officer, Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services
- Andrew London, associate dean, professor of sociology, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
- Bobby Maldonado, chief, Department of Public Safety
- Eric Nestor, director of apartment and off-campus living, Student Living
- Rebecca Ortiz, assistant professor, S.l. Newhouse School of Public Communications
- Abby Perer, associate general counsel
- Pam Peter, assistant dean, Fraternity and Sorority Affairs
- Amie Redmond, senior assistant dean of academic and student services, School of Education
- Sarah Scalese, senior associate vice president of communications
- Jillian Scheer, assistant professor of psychology, College of Arts and Sciences
- Ben Vasquez, alumni representative
- Cory Wallack, executive director of health and wellness, Barnes Center at The Arch
- Dyanne Watson, chair of the Department of Marriage and Family Therapy and professor of practice, David B. Falk College for Sport and Human Dynamics
Along with the task force members, there are dozens of additional students, faculty and staff members, and representatives from Vera House who are members of task force work groups.