“Lesson Study with Mathematics and Science Preservice Teachers: Finding the Form” (Routledge, 2023) is a new overview of the fundamentals of lesson study edited by School of Education Dean Kelly Chandler-Olcott, Professor Sharon Dotger and Jen Heckathorn G’22, director for…
Lender Center for Social Justice Invites Applications for Co-Director
The Lender Center for Social Justice sees applicants for the co-director position. Applicants must be a full-time faculty member at Syracuse University with significant scholarly engagement in social justice-oriented work related to the Center’s vision. Applicants should have strong organization and communication skills and be an effective collaborator. Administrative experience is preferred. Applications are due by Nov. 1, 2021.
Co-directors report to the dean of the School of Education and are responsible for coordinating all aspects of the Lender Center. Building upon and enhancing existing programs and courses, the Lender Center fosters dynamic collaborations among students and scholars who are committed to practices of social justice. Co-directors support the development of courageous and ethical scholars and citizens at Syracuse University and foster faculty-student-community collaborations to strengthen the capacity for understanding and action through expanding educational, critical inquiry and activist skills.
Established with a generous gift from Helaine and Marvin Lender and administered by the School of Education, the Universitywide Lender Center for Social Justice supports faculty and students across the University in actively challenging prejudice and dehumanization.
The co-directors work with an advisory board to host robust interdisciplinary dialogues and events related to social justice, equity and inclusion; recruit and support faculty and student fellows, community stakeholders and University units to promote equity-driven and engaged scholarship and teaching; and serve as liaisons to the Lender family.
The co-director will work with James Haywood Rolling Jr., who will continue as co-director for the remainder of his three-year term. Details of this appointment are as follows:
Department: Dean’s Office, School of Education
Job Title: Co-director, The Helaine and Marvin Lender Center of Syracuse University
Term: Three-year term beginning in fall 2022
Compensation: Summer stipend, plus course release provided by home school/college
Co-directors are responsible for:
- supervising a graduate assistant who staffs the Lender Center office space, coordinates applications, communications and events, and assists the co-directors and a faculty committee in the selection process and orientation of Lender Fellows;
- facilitating the selection of Lender Faculty and Student Fellows and conducting topical discussions with Fellows and planning and coordinating programming with visiting speakers and scholars;
- coordinating with schools/colleges throughout the University to foster engagement and support;
- working with the School of Education dean’s office, budget director and advancement staff to make Center awards;
- hosting an annual Lender Symposium where Fellows present their projects to a wider public; and
- serving as liaison to the Lender family and the University’s advancement team.
More information about the work of the Lender Center can be found on its website.