“It’s never too early to begin taking action to achieve your unique professional goals,” is advice frequently shared by school, college and unit career teams in partnership with Syracuse University Career Services. Supporting students within their unique trajectory to career…
International Pronouns Day Is Oct. 20
On Wednesday, Oct. 20, the University will again celebrate International Pronouns Day (IPD), a global initiative established in 2018 that seeks to make respecting, sharing and educating about personal pronouns a common occurrence.
Referring to people by the pronouns they determine for themselves is a basic act of human dignity. Many transgender and gender-nonconforming people are repeatedly misgendered and referred to with incorrect pronouns, which can be an uncomfortable, anxiety-inducing and humiliating experience.
Here are a few ways members of the campus community can learn more about affirmative pronoun usage and celebrate the multiple and intersecting identities of people within the University community.
- Visit the LGBTQ Resource Center, located at 132 Schine Student Center. They will be giving out pronouns pins and pronoun ribbons (that can be attached to a nametag) throughout the day!
- Download a Zoom background stating your pronouns and promoting International Pronouns Day from the Pronoun, Gender and Preferred Name Advisory Council (PGPNAC) Pronouns Day website.
- Update your pronouns in MySlice. To do so:
- Log in to MySlice.
- Select the “Personal Profile” tile.
- Click on the “Biographic” tab.
- Click on the “Pronoun” link.
- Select your personal pronoun.