Thanks to a high level of interest from the University community, the Office of Alumni Engagement has extended the deadline to sign up for Orange Central homecoming and reunion weekend, being held Oct. 28-31. Everyone who signs up by Sunday,…
Protect Yourself Against the Flu With On-Campus Vaccine Clinics for Students, Faculty and Staff
Cold and flu season is upon us! As recommended by the Syracuse University Public Health Team, flu vaccines are expected for our community—students, faculty and staff—unless an individual has a compelling religious or medical exemption.
By the start of the Spring 2022 semester, all students must have a flu shot or a documented exemption to attend in-person classes, participate in on-campus activities and use on-campus facilities. Faculty and staff must complete a brief Flu Attestation Survey once they’ve received the flu vaccine or to claim an exemption, unless they receive the vaccine at on-site flu clinic (more information below).
The flu vaccine not only helps reduce the impact of respiratory illnesses, but also supports early diagnosis of COVID-19. Keeping the rate of flu infection low in our community also helps preserve limited health care resources for the ongoing management of the COVID-19 pandemic. Here is how those in the campus community can get vaccinated.
Information for Students
To provide convenient access to the flu vaccine, the Barnes Center at The Arch will host flu clinics for students. Additional dates will be available soon. To sign up to receive their flu vaccine on campus, students must:
- Log in to the Patient Portal with their SU email and password. (Students will be prompted to complete Microsoft’s Multi-factor Authentication in advance of accessing the Patient Portal if they have not done so previously.)
- Select “Appts” on the main menu.
- In the drop-down section:
- Under “Clinic,” select “Health Clinic.”
- Under “Reason,” select “Flu Shot Clinic Appointment.”
- The “Provider” will be updated to “Barnes Center 309 FluShots.”
- Select “Submit.”
- Select an appointment day and time when posted.
Please note, the student flu clinic on Friday, Oct. 1, has no appointments available.
Upon signing up, students will receive a confirmation to their Syracuse University email with appointment details and needed forms. They should also bring their Syracuse University I.D. card, pharmacy benefit card and health insurance card to their appointment, unless they are actively enrolled in the Syracuse University Health Plan, in which case insurance information isn’t needed.
Students may also receive a flu shot from a medical provider or pharmacy off campus and upload documentation that they received the vaccine via the Patient Portal, or submit a Medical-Religious Waiver form in the Patient Portal. Learn more about student flu shots.
Information for Faculty and Staff
Faculty and staff can obtain their flu vaccine in one of the following four ways:
- Visit your primary care doctor. Members of a Syracuse University health plan and their eligible dependents may obtain covered vaccines through a doctor’s office using their Excellus BlueCross BlueShield (BCBS) ID card. The flu vaccine is recommended for everyone age 6 months or older, and a high-dose vaccine may be available to individuals age 65 years or older.
- Stop by a local pharmacy. For maximum flexibility, faculty and staff may use either their OptumRx or Excellus BCBS member ID card when receiving covered vaccines at a participating pharmacy for a $0 copay.
- Attend an on-site flu clinic. Flu clinics for faculty and staff will be held on Oct. 1, 6, 8 and 13. View hours and locations on the Flu Vaccine Clinics webpage of wellness.syr.edu. While appointments are not required, faculty and staff must print and complete the Flu Vaccine Consent Form [PDF] in advance and bring it to the flu clinic. They should also bring their Syracuse University I.D. card; temporary employees may show an alternate photo ID.
- Make an appointment at the Barnes Center. Faculty and staff can make an appointment to receive the flu vaccine at the Barnes Center by calling 315.443.5691. Appointments may be made Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. or Saturdays between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
With questions about the flu vaccine, students may contact the Barnes Center at The Arch at 315.443.8000 and faculty and staff may reach out to HR Shared Services at 315.443.4042 or firstname.lastname@example.org.