Five online working sessions will be held between early October and mid-December for faculty members to obtain guidance on integrating the University’s Shared Competencies into their curriculum and to have support completing the course tagging process. The one-hour Zoom working…
Guidelines for New Student Convocation
Dear Members of the Campus Community:
Each year, we mark the start of a new academic year with the New Student Convocation academic ceremony, bringing our campus community together to welcome and celebrate the newest members of the Orange family. This year, New Student Convocation is scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 26, at 5:30 p.m. in the stadium. The event will also be livestreamed for those who would like to join virtually.
For those who attend in-person at the stadium, local public health requirements mandate specific guidelines for entry into the event. All attendees (students, faculty, staff, families and guests) must comply with ONE of the following options to enter the stadium:
- Provide proof of completed vaccination; specifically, on the day of the event the individual must provide documentation indicating that at least 14 days have passed since the individual received the second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, or at least 14 days have passed since the individual received a single dose of Johnson & Johnson/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine. We strongly encourage guests to seek out vaccination as it is the most reliable pathway for entry into the stadium.
- Provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR-type test, administered within 72 hours of the event start time. Testing is at the responsibility of each guest.
- Provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen-type test, administered within six hours of the event start time. Testing is at the responsibility of each guest.
To make the student entry experience as seamless as possible, all incoming residential students who have immunization records on file will receive a unique pass via email to gain access to the stadium when presented along with the student’s Syracuse University ID card. No additional action is needed.
For all other student attendees, faculty, staff, parents, family members and guests, a pre-screening compliance station will be available in advance to make the entry experience as seamless as possible.
Pre-Screening Compliance Station Details
Beginning at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 25, guests can have their COVID-compliance documents verified in advance of the Convocation ceremony. Once verified, individuals will receive a unique pass that will significantly expedite and ease entry into the stadium for Convocation. To obtain your unique pass, please visit the pre-event compliance station at the following times:
- Shaw Quadrangle (tent next to the Orange Grove) (No appointments necessary, just show up at your convenience with your required paperwork.)
- Wednesday, Aug. 25, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 26, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
We strongly encourage you to participate in pre-verification to avoid a long wait. All individuals who are not pre-verified will be required to have their vaccine or testing documentation reviewed and approved on-site upon entry to the stadium beginning at 4 p.m. on Aug. 26.
In addition to the entry protocols, the following masking guidelines will be in place for New Student Convocation:
- All guests of students are required to wear masks at the event, regardless of vaccination status.
- Masks are not required for students who are fully immunized; however, we encourage you to be prepared by bringing a mask to campus in the event public health guidelines change.
- All other students are required to wear masks throughout the duration of the event.
We look forward to celebrating our incoming students, their families and the start of a new academic year.
Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost
Allen W. Groves
Senior Vice President for the Student Experience