Dear Students, Faculty and Staff: Earlier today, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that 70% of all adults in New York State have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccination. Here on the Syracuse campus, 97% of benefits-eligible faculty and…
Important Information for International Students
Dear Syracuse University Student:
To the classes of 2024 and 2025, we are excited to welcome you to the Syracuse University campus this fall. To all other students, we are looking forward to seeing you again soon after a challenging year.
We appreciate your patience as the University has responded to rapidly changing circumstances. These include both pandemic conditions and the rate of visa approval. We are writing today to tell you what you need to know and what you need to do now to ensure that you have a successful 2021-22 academic year.
What You Need to Know:
Positive tests for COVID-19 on campus are rare. The University has seen very few positive cases as vaccination has become widespread. All students, faculty and staff are required to be vaccinated unless they have a medical or religious exemption. The Syracuse University Public Health Team has relaxed many virus-related restrictions on campus. We are confident that the 2021-22 academic year will provide a normal, vibrant on-campus experience.
All Syracuse University students are expected to study at Syracuse University’s main campus in New York. Coming to campus will allow you to accommodate all your interests and enable you to complete internships and be involved in campus organizations. Your learning and outcomes will be better with in-person attendance.
Exceptions can be made only for students who have already enrolled in a Syracuse-approved study abroad option outside of China, are unable to obtain a visa to study in the United States or can’t travel to Syracuse for reasons beyond their control.
Very limited options are open to first- and second-year students in mainland China who cannot travel to the United States because they are unable to obtain a visa or for other reasons beyond their control. If you are able to obtain a visa to study in the United States, you should do so. Program details and availability depend on enrollment numbers and are subject to change based on public health guidance issued by officials in China. For more information about these options, please contact SUAbroad@syr.edu.
What You Need to Do Now:
- Apply for your visa as soon as possible.
- Once you have obtained a visa, contact your advisor and register for classes.
- Obtain a housing assignment or make arrangements for off-campus housing (if you are a third- or fourth-year student eligible to live off-campus).
- Upload proof of vaccination to the Student Patient Portal. Visit the Stay Safe website for the latest vaccine guidance for international students.
If you have any questions, please connect with the following Syracuse University offices:
- Immigration status, visas and I-20s—email@example.com
- Application process and program options for enrollment options in China—SUAbroad@syr.edu
- Academic plan and progress—your home school or college advisor
The University will also conduct an informational webinar for international students and parents on Thursday, May 27, from 9 to 10 a.m. EDT. A panel of University staff will be available to answer questions. Please see information below:
To join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device:
Access the Zoom link and use the passcode 177996.
One tap mobile:
+16468769923,,97146610560#,,,,*177996# US (New York)
+13017158592,,97146610560#,,,,*177996# US (Washington, D.C.)
To join by phone:
Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
- US: +1 646 876 9923 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 669 900 6833
- Webinar ID: 971 4661 0560
- Passcode: 177996
- International numbers are available at https://syracuseuniversity.zoom.us/u/alcgUsEmD.
Please note that this webinar is limited to 500 attendees.
Senior Vice President for International Programs and Academic Operations