Why do faculty and staff from across the University volunteer to lead sections of the First-Year Seminar? Consuelo Endrigo-Williams and Rhonda Chester do it for the connection with students and the life of the University outside the boundaries of their…
Community Review Board Application and Selection Process
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
Last month, in a message to our community, former U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch delivered her team’s independent review of the Syracuse University Department of Public Safety. This report also outlined the structure and procedures for establishing the Syracuse University Public Safety Community Review Board (CRB). This email outlines the process for those interested in applying to serve on the CRB.
Role of the CRB:
The CRB will review appeals of civilian complaints regarding DPS officer conduct; review and comment on prospective new DPS policies, procedures and trainings; and review key community-facing functions of DPS and issue to the University community a public annual report of findings and recommendations.
CRB Member Selection:
As recommended by Ms. Lynch and her team, the CRB will have 11 members: three undergraduate students, one graduate student, one law student, two faculty members, two staff members and two administrators. Any member of our campus community is invited to apply. For those interested in being considered, please complete this application and submit it to the specific individual designated for your constituent group:
- Undergraduate Students: Undergraduate representation will be selected by the Student Association (SA); please submit your application to Ryan Golden, vice president of SA.
- Graduate Students: One graduate student will be selected by the Graduate Student Organization (GSO); please submit your application to Mirjavad Hashemi, president of GSO.
- Law Students: One law student will be selected by the Student Bar Association (SBA); please submit your application to Ken Knight, executive president of SBA.
- Faculty: Faculty members will be selected by the University Senate; please submit your application to Andrew Saluti, chair of the Senate Administrative Operations Committee.
- Staff: Staff will be selected by the Office of Human Resources; please submit your application to Andrew Gordon, senior vice president and chief human resource officer.
- Administrators: Administrators will be selected by Chancellor Kent Syverud; please submit your application to Megan Travis, director for strategic initiatives, Chancellor’s Office.
As we work to convene the CRB, please be advised of the below key dates:
- Deadline to submit applications: Please submit applications by April 1, 2021.
- Member notification: Individuals selected to serve on the CRB will be notified by May 1, 2021.
- First CRB meeting: The inaugural CRB will convene its first meeting no later than June 1, 2021.
The creation of the CRB is a critical step in implementing recommendations of the independent review led by Ms. Lynch. We are optimistic that the CRB will be inclusive of individuals who will be dedicated to enhancing the safety and well-being of our campus, as well as committed to strengthening the relationship between the community and DPS.
Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost
Andrew R. Gordon
Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resource Officer
Robert D. Hradsky, Ed.D.
Vice President of the Student Experience