Dear Students, Families, Faculty and Staff: The landscape of federal, state and local policy guidance related to the COVID health emergency continues to evolve at a rapid pace. We are following these policy changes and amended public health guidelines very…
Important Information Regarding Proof of Eligibility for and Access to the COVID Vaccine
Dear Faculty, Instructors and Graduate Teaching Assistants:
We are writing to provide you new information from the Onondaga County Health Department related to the COVID-19 vaccination distribution process.
At this time, per the New York State Department of Health, the following two populations of instructors are eligible for the COVID vaccine:
- Any individual 65 or older.
- Any instructor teaching one or more classes in person this semester.
Please note: if you are under the age of 65 and are not teaching in person this semester, you are not yet eligible to receive the vaccine.
Because vaccine distribution is being strictly controlled, consistent with phase 1A/1B of the New York State Department of Health’s vaccination plan, the Onondaga County Health Department has asked Syracuse University to establish an eligibility verification process. As approved by the County Health Department, the process is as follows:
1. All eligible instructors are required to schedule an appointment through the county website.
2. If you are 65 or older, no additional verification, beyond bringing your valid identification card, is required.
3. Individuals under the age of 65 who are eligible because they are teaching in person this semester should follow these steps:
- Once you secure an appointment and receive your confirmation email from Onondaga County or New York State, forward that confirmation email to Human Resources at email@example.com.
- Human Resources will then reply to you with a letter confirming you are a University employee and are teaching in person this semester.
- You must print this letter and bring it with you to your confirmed vaccination appointment. You will be asked to present a physical copy of this letter upon arrival.
4. Please note: if you have a confirmed vaccination appointment scheduled for Sunday, Jan. 17, or Monday, Jan. 18, please email Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. A member of the Human Resources team will promptly reply to you with an electronic copy of the letter confirming proof of eligibility.
As we’ve previously communicated: Syracuse University has no authority or standing to make eligibility determinations related to the New York State COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan, nor do we have access to a supply of vaccine for distribution.
To register for a vaccination appointment through Onondaga County or New York State, please visit the Onondaga County vaccine website to learn more.
Andrew R. Gordon
Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resource Officer
J. Michael Haynie
Vice Chancellor for Strategic Initiatives and Innovation
Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost