Dear Students and Families: As you prepare for your return to campus, I want to remind you of the critical role each of us plays in protecting the health and well-being of our campus. Our individual actions impact our broader…
COVID-19 Testing Opening to Family Members of Faculty and Staff
As the prevalence of COVID-19 continues to rise here in Onondaga County, timely access to testing remains critically important. Our community’s capacity to quickly test, trace and isolate COVID-19 infections is central to mitigating spread of the virus, and to safeguarding individual and public health.
To further support the health and safety of Syracuse University employees and their families, effective Monday, Jan. 11, we will extend the eligibility for voluntary COVID-19 surveillance testing to the family members of our faculty and staff. We believe this action will further strengthen our community’s ongoing efforts to combat the spread of COVID-19 and is consistent with the University’s ongoing commitment to safeguard the health and well-being of our faculty, staff and their loved ones.
Who is Eligible:
- Individuals eligible for this testing are family members/loved ones of faculty and staff who reside in the same household as a Syracuse University employee.
- Dependent family members are eligible to be tested at the Stadium Testing Center once every 14 days, and participation is entirely voluntary.
- Testing is a limited and valuable resource, and for that reason we request that family members utilize this new resource judiciously. Family members should only participate in routine surveillance testing if there is a reason to believe that their living or work situation puts them at risk of exposure.
- Individuals experiencing COVID-like symptoms, or who have been formally directed to quarantine by a public health authority due to possible exposure, should not come to campus for testing. Instead, those individuals should contact their primary care provider.
- Family members (who are not Syracuse University employees), and who do not have a Syracuse University identification card, must be accompanied by the faculty or staff member with whom they reside when visiting the Stadium Testing Center.
- We ask faculty and staff to ensure that family members adhere to the guidelines above, so that we can maintain the continuity of this important service throughout the remainder of the COVID-19 health emergency.
About the Stadium Testing Center
- The Stadium Testing Center is open Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Enter through Gate N and follow the signs to the testing center.
- No appointments are necessary; show up at a time that is convenient for you.
- The testing method requires the individual being tested to deposit a saliva sample directly into a sterile test tube.
- Do not eat, drink or brush your teeth for 30 minutes prior to testing.
- You must wear a face mask or covering when you arrive at the testing site.
- You will receive confirmation via email if your surveillance test result indicates no requirement for a subsequent diagnostic test.
- Individuals whose result indicates the need for provider consultation and a subsequent diagnostic test will be notified by phone.
We hope this expanded access to testing gives you and your loved ones a greater peace of mind. We appreciate your ongoing support of and commitment to the University’s efforts to navigate the continuously changing pandemic conditions.
Andrew R. Gordon
Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resource Officer
J. Michael Haynie
Vice Chancellor for Strategic Initiatives and Innovation
Interim Vice Chancellor and Provost