Seven new recruits were sworn into the Syracuse University campus peace officer academy today by Syracuse Police Chief Joe Cecile. Cecile performed the swearing in of the academy recruits as an official welcome and endorsement of the joint law enforcement…
Members Set for Chancellor’s Citation Selection Committee; Deadline for Nominations Dec. 11
Members of the 2020-21 selection committee for the Chancellor’s Citation for Excellence, which recognizes campus community members who have made invaluable contributions to the University, have been announced. The committee members review nominations in four categories and submit their recommendations to Chancellor Kent Syverud. The deadline for nominations is Friday, Dec. 11, 2020.
The selection committee will be chaired by S.P. Raj, Distinguished Professor of Marketing and chair of the marketing department in the Whitman School.
Other members of the selection committee:
- Dympna Callaghan, William Safire Professor of Modern Letters and University Professor, Department of English
- Diane Crawford, Executive Director of Institutional Culture, M.J. Whitman School of Management
- Elisa Dekaney, Professor of Music and Associate Dean of Research, Graduate Studies, and Internationalization. College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Madison Firkey, Graduate student, Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program, Department of Psychology
- Regina Jones, Assistant Director of Multicultural Affairs, Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Steven Sawyer, Professor, Director of PhD Programs, and Core Faculty of the Renee Crown Honors Program, School of Information Studies
- John Western, professor emeritus of geography in the Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs
The Chancellor’s Citation for Excellence honors members of the University community who have made invaluable contributions to Syracuse University in two overarching ways — first through commitment to scholarship and research that contributes to new understandings of the world and creative responses to its needs; and second, through advancing the four pillars Chancellor Kent Syverud has identified to foster excellence at Syracuse University. Those four pillars of excellence are: (i) providing an outstanding undergraduate experience; (ii) empowering research excellence; (iii) fostering change and innovation; and (iv) positioning Syracuse as the best university in the world for veterans.
The four categories of awards are the Award for Faculty Excellence and Scholarly Distinction, Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Student Experience and University Initiatives (both a faculty and a staff award), Award for Excellence in Graduate and Undergraduate Student Research and the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Recipients of the Chancellor’s Citations for Excellence are honored at the One University Awards Ceremony. Past awardees can be found in the University Library Archives.