The prestigious Hult Prize Foundation has selected Syracuse University Libraries’ Blackstone LaunchPad & Techstars (LaunchPad) to host the Hult Prize Regional Summit. Hult Prize Impact Summits are hosted in 100 locations around the world, and this year Syracuse is one…
COVID-19 Update: New Testing Hours | Response Checklists | Website Transition
Dear Students, Faculty, Staff and Families:
The vast majority of our students have now departed campus or are in the process of leaving ahead of the Thanksgiving break. Although our campus population will decrease substantially over the next couple months, it is critical that the students who will remain with us over the break—and also our faculty and staff—continue to exercise vigilance and take precaution to safeguard individual and public health. As such, I am writing to remind you of key resources available to you to assist in our individual and collective efforts to combat the COVID-19 virus.
Today, I am going to provide updates on:
- New Testing Hours
- Checklists for Navigating Positive Diagnosis, Suspected Exposure
- Website Transition
New Testing Hours: Many of you have asked that we continue on-campus testing operations through the winter break. Be assured that we plan to do so. The Stadium Testing Center will remain open and accessible to all members of our campus community for the duration of the winter break. However, given that many fewer individuals will routinely access campus after Nov. 24, we have modified the testing center’s hours of operation. Those new hours are as follows:
- Saturday, Nov. 21, and Sunday, Nov. 22: noon to 3 p.m.
- Monday, Nov. 23, through Wednesday, Nov. 25: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 26 (Thanksgiving) through Sunday, Nov. 29: Closed
- Beginning Monday, Nov. 30 (winter hours): Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to Thanksgiving holiday lab closures at our testing partner, SUNY Upstate, it is strongly recommended that anyone seeking to ascertain their COVID-19 status prior to Thanksgiving should be tested no later than the end of the day on Monday (Nov. 23) to help ensure a timely result.
Some important reminders about testing include:
- Location: Enter the stadium through Gate N and follow the signs to the testing center.
- Appointments: No appointments are necessary; simply bring your SU I.D. and show up at a time that is convenient for you.
- Preparation: Do not eat, drink or brush your teeth for 30 minutes prior to testing.
- Safety Reminder: You must wear a face mask or covering when you arrive at the testing site. If you are experiencing symptoms or suspect you have been exposed to the virus, do not go the stadium—instead contact the Barnes Center at 315.443.8000 (students) or your primary care doctor (faculty/staff).
- Type of Test: The test itself is a saliva swab, and the entire process only takes a few minutes.
- Delivery of Results: You will receive confirmation of a negative result via email. Individuals who return a positive test result will be notified by phone.
COVID-19 Response Checklists: With the resurgence of the COVID-19 virus nationally and locally, it is important for individuals to know what action to take should they be diagnosed with COVID-19 or suspected potential exposure. As a reminder, the University developed a series of COVID-19 checklists for students, faculty and staff to provide direction in situations where a member of the Syracuse University community has tested positive for or suspects they have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus.
The checklists, including a downloadable and printable PDF, can be found on the Fall 2020 website. The checklists cannot fully address the unique nature of every situation and are intended to provide general guidance related to the most appropriate and required actions in response to positive test results or suspected exposure to the virus. Members of the community should contact the Syracuse University COVID-19 Project Management Office (PMO) at 315.443.6180 or SUcovid@syr.edu with additional questions or concerns or to receive further guidance.
Website Transition: As we wrap up the fall semester, we are already planning for the spring. As part of that transition, next week we will change the web address of the current Fall 2020 site to Syracuse.edu/staysafe. This site will continue to be the hub for information about campus operations, public health and safety, testing information and the Syracuse University COVID-19 Dashboard. We will continue to post all campus messages to this site. We hope that you will visit frequently for the latest information for students, faculty, staff and the broader community.
We will continue to provide frequent updates in the coming weeks, particularly as it relates to testing, spring planning and other important areas of focus. Additionally, if new guidance is issued from the State or County impacting members of our community, we will be sure to update you in a timely manner.
I wish you and your loved ones a happy, healthy and peaceful holiday season.
J. Michael Haynie
Vice Chancellor for Strategic Initiatives and Innovation