The intersection of Raynor Avenue and Stadium Place will be closed for about five days beginning Friday, June 18, due to planned utility work. The work is part of chilled water upgrades along Henry Street and Raynor Avenue. Due to this…
MLK Celebration Committee Seeks Unsung Hero Nominations, Performance Auditions
The planning committee for Syracuse University’s 36th Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration is seeking nominations for the Unsung Hero Awards, as well as recorded audition videos for performances. The celebration will take place in January 2021; further details will be announced soon.
The Unsung Hero nominations and auditions videos are both due on Thursday, Nov. 12, at 11:59 p.m. ET. Audition and nomination forms, as well as additional information, are available at mlk.syr.edu.
The Unsung Hero Awards are presented annually to people who, in the spirit of King’s “beloved community,” have made a positive difference in the lives of others, but who are not widely recognized for their efforts. To be eligible for this award, nominees should not have received widespread recognition or been previously honored for their efforts, and their work should be ongoing and outside their normal job/student expectations.
Nominations may be made in any of the following categories:
- youth/teen from Onondaga, Madison, Oswego, Cayuga or Cortland counties
- adult from Onondaga, Madison, Oswego, Cayuga or Cortland counties
- student at Syracuse University or SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF)
- faculty or staff from Syracuse University or SUNY-ESF
There are two ways to nominate an Unsung Hero:
- Fill out an online nomination form.
- Print and fill out this printable nomination form [PDF] and mail it to: Awards Committee, Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Committee, Hendricks Chapel, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244-1110.
Each year at the MLK Celebration, performers light up the stage in celebration of King’s life and legacy. Auditions are open to all composers, dancers, instrumentalists, poets, singers and other creators and artists. Students, student groups, and individuals and groups from the greater Syracuse community are welcome to perform in the celebration.
Two ways to audition to perform:
- Fill out the online audition form and submit an audition video according to the outlined specifications.
- For those who need an alternate audition method, contact email@example.com.
With questions about Unsung Hero nominations or performance auditions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.