Summer! The best time of year—play time, vacation and easier schedules for most of us. But in among all that recreation, keep an eye out for safety, so you can keep the fun coming. First and foremost, experts agree, get…
Pivoting to Meet Evolving Wellness Needs: Virtual Group Therapy and Drop-in Sessions
With support and ease of accessing resources top of mind, the Barnes Center at The Arch has introduced and grown a variety of virtual counseling services for fall 2020. Placing privacy forefront, all opportunities are hosted in a private and confidential setting through Zoom. Highlights include virtual drop-in groups and a variety of group therapy opportunities.
“In the pursuit of pioneering health and wellness, the Barnes Center at The Arch has demonstrated continued dedication to not only enhancing the student experience but pivoting resources and services to meet evolving needs of the campus community,” says Mansi Brat, Ph.D., Barnes Center at The Arch staff therapist and group therapy program coordinator. “We encourage students to explore services and to connect with the health and wellness team to learn more.”
Restorative Conversations: Healing from Racial and Social Injustices Virtual Drop-in Group
Drop-in groups are free, virtual and available to all Syracuse University students. Participation is flexible, allowing students to join all sessions or during preferred dates.
In light of our current global environment, many individuals have faced increased race-related stress and oppression related to their unique identities. Barnes Center at The Arch Counseling is offering a restorative conversational space for students to process lived experiences related to their race and ethnicity. In this virtual drop-in group, students will have the opportunity to engage in reflective conversations around racial and social justice, connect with their peers and find support from group facilitators.
- Tuesday, Nov. 3: noon-1:30 p.m. ET
- Thursday, Nov. 5: 3-4:30 p.m. ET
- Wednesday, Nov. 11: 1-2:30 p.m. ET
Fall 2020 Virtual Group Therapy
In the free weekly virtual group setting, students struggling with similar concerns can share feedback with each other, staff therapists and learn new ways of coping. Explore highlights below and the complete list on the Counseling webpage. To participate, call the Barnes Center at 315.443.8000 to schedule an initial consultation with a therapist to discuss your interest in joining a group.
- Supporting Students with Anxiety – This group is for students who are experiencing symptoms of anxiety and experience difficulty with stress management.
- Gender and Sexuality Affirmative Therapy Group – This group is for students who are looking to explore and discuss aspects of gender and sexuality, as well as the intersections of identities.
- Understanding Yourself and Others (Undergraduate and Graduate) – Would you like to feel more comfortable with yourself and in interactions with others? In a safe and supportive environment, this interpersonal process group offers an opportunity to relate to others who are experiencing similar concerns.