On Friday, Sept. 25, at 4 p.m., Burton Blatt Institute Chairman Peter Blanck will address a virtual symposium hosted by the Disability Allied Law Students Association (DALSA) at the New York University School of Law to celebrate the 30th anniversary…
Registration Now Open for LAW 2020 Virtual Reunion and Conference, Sept. 24-26
Join the College of Law’s faculty, staff and students in celebrating the achievements of College of Law alumni and learn about emerging topics in the law during LAW 2020 (Law Alumni Weekend). This year’s event has gone completely virtual and promises to be an engaging showcase of Orange pride!
LAW 2020 highlights include:
State of the College Address
In his annual address on Sept. 25, Dean Craig M. Boise will reflect on college achievements in the past year, share challenges and opportunities in the months ahead, and affirm his vision for the future.
Disability Rights at the College of Law: A Retrospective Look at the ADA and the DLPP
The Disability Law and Policy Program (DLPP) will host a panel discussion on Sept. 25 in celebration of its 15th anniversary and the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Moderated by Professor Arlene Kanter, Director of Disability Law and Policy Program and Laura J. and L. Douglas Meredith Professor of Teaching Excellence, the panel will include:
- Julie Morse L’05, Legal Services of Central New York
- Jennifer Conrad Wolfsheimer L’06, U.S. Department of Education
- Koert Wehberg L’08, Philadelphia Mayor’s Commission on Disability
- Robert Borrelle L‘13, staff attorney, Disability Rights California
- Daniel Van Sant L’16, Disability Rights Iowa
- Carla Villarreal Lopez LL.M.’16, United Nations Office of the Special Rapporteur on Disability
- Ptahra Jeppe L’20, NYC Disability Rights Advocates
Legal and Societal Ramifications of COVID-19 on Marginalized Populations—CLE Credit Opportunity
Join us—and earn CLE credit—on Thursday, Sept. 24, for a panel discussion on a critical contemporary social justice issue. Our expert panel includes:
- Sharon A. Brangman, M.D., F.A.C.P., A.G.S.F., SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Daryll C. Dykes, Ph.D., M.D., J.D., Upstate Orthopedics
- Professor Nina A. Kohn, Syracuse University College of Law
Diversity & Inclusion CLE: 1 credit
Second Annual “Meet the Author”
On Saturday morning (Sept. 26), join the Hon. James E. Baker, director of the Institute for Security Policy and Law, for a fascinating and prescient discussion about the topics of his new book “The Centaur’s Dilemma: National Security Law for the Coming AI Revolution.” The discussion will be moderated by Professor Jamie Winders, director of the Autonomous Systems Policy Institute at Syracuse University, and feature remarks from Dean Boise.
Law Honors Awards and Alumni of Color Awards
Celebrate and recognize the award recipients on Friday, Sept. 25, during the Law Honors Awards ceremony and on Saturday, Sept. 26, during our Alumni of Color Awards ceremony. This year’s Law Honors recipients are:
- Professor Emeritus William C. Banks
- Everett A. Gillison L’85
- Virginia L. Grady L’83
- Professor Emeritus Thomas J. Maroney L’63
- Catherine Richardson L’77
- Koert A. Wehberg L’08
Learn more about the Law Honors recipients here.
The 2020 Alumni of Color Awards recipients are:
- Felicia Collins Ocumarez L’98, G’98, BLSA William Herbert Johnson Legacy Award
- José Bahamonde-González, L’92, LALSA Legacy Award
Learn more about the Alumni of Color recipients here.