Thanks to a high level of interest from the University community, the Office of Alumni Engagement has extended the deadline to sign up for Orange Central homecoming and reunion weekend, being held Oct. 28-31. Everyone who signs up by Sunday,…
Student Association to Host Weekend Events in Solidarity with Friday’s March on Washington
The Student Association (SA) will present a series of campus-based events in solidarity with the March on Washington, which will take place on Friday, Aug. 28, in Washington, D.C.
“The Student Association, in collaboration with University Union and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, is honored to hold meaningful and impactful events centered around such a pivotal moment in our nation’s history,” says SA President Justine Hastings ’21. “We hope these events will get all members of our Syracuse community to reflect and act forward toward the fight for racial/social justice.”
Events will include:
Friday, Aug. 28
- Screening of the National March on Washington from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. ET on the Quad (limited availability; no audio, closed captioned). Learn more.
- Spike Lee Virtual Speaker Event from 3 to 3:30 p.m. ET on the Quad (limited availability; no audio, closed captioned). To attend virtually, register here.
- On-Campus Solidarity March from 4 to 4:30 p.m. on the Quad (limited availability). Learn more.
Saturday, Aug. 29
- Syracuse Racial Justice Panel + Discussion*, co-sponsored by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, from 1 to 5 p.m. ET in Goldstein Auditorium in the Schine Student Center (limited availability). To join the event virtually, use this Zoom link. Panelists will include representatives from the Syracuse chapter of Black Lives Matter; OG’s Against Violence; Black Leadership Coalition of CNY; Alliance of Communities Transforming Syracuse; Syracuse National Action Network; Syracuse University’s Our Time Has Come Scholarship Program; and Syracuse Police Accountability and Reform Coalition. Moderators will include representatives from the Student Association; #NotAgainSU; Renegade Magazine; the Student African American Society; and University faculty and staff.
Sunday, Aug. 30
- Screening of the movie “Selma,”* co-sponsored by University Union, at 5 p.m. ET in the Goldstein Auditorum in the Schine Student Center (limited availability). To join the event virtually, visit the Swank link.
*For the Saturday and Sunday in-person events, a limited number of free tickets are available at the student box office. A Syracuse University I.D. card is required for entrance into the auditorium. Socially distanced seating will be available.
Masks are required on the Syracuse University campus, and those attending are asked to social distance by 6 feet. Protocol monitors will be present enforcing these requirements. Those not adhering to the requirements will be documented through the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
If you are in need of accommodations, or with any questions, email StudentAssociation@syr.edu.