Thanks to a high level of interest from the University community, the Office of Alumni Engagement has extended the deadline to sign up for Orange Central homecoming and reunion weekend, being held Oct. 28-31. Everyone who signs up by Sunday,…
Fall 2020 Student Experience: Barnes Center at The Arch Services, Hours and More
As students prepare to return to campus this fall, the Barnes Center at The Arch announces important updates related to its services, procedures and programs, continuing to support the holistic well-being of our students and promote the health and safety of our entire campus community. Campus community members can explore health and wellness highlights below, as well as visit the Fall 2020: Barnes Center at The Arch webpage, for further details and directions pertaining to hours, appointments, services and more. Access the latest health and wellness information by following @BeWellSU on Instagram and Facebook.
Accessing Services and Resources
To support physical distancing and good health practices, Health Care, Counseling, Recreation and Health Promotion services and resources will offer a combination of in-person and virtual options. Students, faculty and staff can visit the Facilities and Hours webpage for the most up-to-date fall 2020 hours of operation. Changes to hours include extending Health Care services to seven days a week and adjusting Recreation hours. Outlined below are a few key tips for accessing services:
- Health Care and Counseling appointments should be made by calling 315.443.8000. Please note, drop-in hours will not be offered this fall; however, a limited number of same-day appointments are available by calling 315.443.8000.
- In accordance with state public health orders, indoor gym facilities will be closed until further notice (e.g. cardio equipment, gymnasiums, basketball courts, weight rooms). This includes all satellite gym facilities. Within the Barnes Center’s fitness complex, the climbing wall, pool and esports room will remain available to use. With the expanded resources and offerings available with the opening of the Barnes Center, upon returning to normal operations, satellite fitness centers, with the exception of Ernie Davis Fitness Center, will remain closed moving forward.
- Recreation will be offering a variety of in-person and virtual opportunities this fall, including Central New York outdoor adventure weekend day trips.
- To provide expanded opportunities for fitness, exercise and activities, outdoor cardio and weight reservations will be available and hosted on the Women’s Building field. Additionally, outdoor fitness classes will be available.
- The Wellness Portal will further assist the campus community in participating in outdoor fitness classes, esports, the climbing wall, aquatics, as well as experiencing the Crowley Family MindSpa and more. Wellness Portal reservations are required for all activities.
- Otto’s Juice Box, Prettyman Spa Pool and Tennity Ice Skating Pavilion will be closed until further notice.
Entering the Barnes Center
The Barnes Center will designate distinct accessible entranceways according to the services visitors are seeking in order to limit traffic through the building and support physical distancing. Masks are required at all times, except in the pool.
- For Health Care, Counseling, Pharmacy, Nutrition and Health Promotion, please enter through the north entrance facing the Physics Building. Please do not access recreation services from this entrance.
- To access Recreation offerings, please enter through the Sims Drive entrance facing Carnegie Library. Please do not access Health Care, the Pharmacy, Counseling or Health Promotion services, such as the Crowley Family MindSpa, from this entrance.
- For required COVID-19 testing by appointment, please enter through the Flanagan Gymnasium main doors facing Sims Drive. Please do not access from or enter the Barnes Center at The Arch.
The Health Care team at the Barnes Center at The Arch is here to assist students who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or who have received a positive test result from another testing site. Students experiencing symptoms, or who have received a positive test result, are asked to remain in their room and call the Barnes Center at 315.443.8000 to schedule an appointment. Additionally, students experiencing symptoms should not attend class, participate in extracurricular activities, or travel onto campus or into the community. Drop-in appointments are not available; same-day appointments will be available.
The Barnes Center at The Arch remains available to assist Syracuse University students experiencing a mental health crisis, seeking support for sexual assault or relationship violence, or needing medical consultation 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Students can receive free confidential services by calling 315.443.8000. Please note, routine consultations should hold until the next business day.
In addition to the adjustments made to operations to further protect the health and safety of visitors, the Barnes Center team is also deploying expanded cleaning and sanitization procedures on top of their already robust practices. Visitors can expect new hand sanitizing stations, ultraviolet (UV) cleaning tools and the option to enroll into Health Care and Counseling text message notifications.
For questions or for more information, please call 315.443.8000 or email BarnesCenter@syr.edu. For the latest information on health and safety precautions and updates from the University, please visit syracuse.edu/Fall2020.