Through a partnership with Enrollment and the Student Experience, Office of Community Engagement, and CNY Jazz Arts Foundation, the University is pleased to offer students, faculty and staff an exclusive virtual concert series this year. The CNY Jazz concert series…
The Stand Photo Contest Seeks Images of Syracuse and Its Residents at This Unique Moment in Time
Each summer, The Stand newspaper sponsors its annual Photo Walk, encouraging community members to explore, meet neighbors and document the South Side in photos. This summer, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, photographers will not come together in person but will still have the opportunity to document the city in photos.
The Stand will hold the contest–open citywide–to continue to capture Syracuse neighborhoods, especially during this unique moment in time. Images will be accepted on a rolling basis up to July 31. Participants may enter up to two photos in each of five categories (a maximum of 10 photos per person). A panel of local judges will choose the top winners and prizes will be awarded.
Contest categories include:
- #CuseSummer2020—Photos that best capture the new normal—new now—in the city of Syracuse.
- #CuseCOVIDchildhood— Photos showing the city’s youth—from enjoying childhood innocence to coping with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- #CuseSocialDistancing—Photos illustrating the creative ways the city and its residents continue to safely live everyday life.
- #CuseMinorityImpact—Studies show the coronavirus impacts Blacks and minorities disproportionately. How how can this reality be visualized?
- #CuseBLM—Nationwide racism is being called out. How is Syracuse pushing for progress?
Participants are encouraged to share images throughout the month on social media by tagging @MySouthSide and posting their favorite shots with each contest category hashtag.
Final images will be shared with the community online, featured in The Stand’s September print issue and exhibited downtown, projected onto the Everson Museum of Art, thanks to a partnership with the Urban Video Project (UVP).
To enter and be considered for prizes, photographers must follow recommended health guidelines, submit photos taken only in the city of Syracuse and enter images online using The Stand’s entry form.
Follow The Stand on social media for updates on the contest, to meet the judges and to learn details on prize offerings.