Dear Students and Families: As part of our planning for the Fall 2020 semester, the University is adjusting the move-in schedule for our incoming and returning students and their families. To protect the health and safety of all our campus…
Syracuse University Libraries Resumes Limited Access to Physical Collections
Beginning today, Syracuse University Libraries has resumed limited access to physical collections as part of a gradual, phased reopening for members of the campus community. The Libraries provides electronic delivery of articles scanned from print journals as well as book chapters to those with valid Syracuse University identification (Syracuse University I.D.). The Libraries is also offering contactless pickup of circulating materials by appointment, as well as UPS delivery of materials to faculty residences. Please note there may be delays in processing time for these services, depending on staffing and requests.
Scanning and Electronic Delivery
Anyone with a valid Syracuse University I.D. can request a digital copy of journal articles or book chapters from the physical collections at Bird Library, Carnegie Library or King+King Architecture Library. To request a digital copy of an item:
- Requests for scans of printed materials can be made by logging into SU Libraries’ Interlibrary Loan.
- On the left side of the page, select “New Request” then “Article or Book Chapter.”
- Complete the form then submit request. Note that copyright law limits how much can be copied in some circumstances.
- Once the item is scanned, it will be electronically delivered to you.
Contactless Pickup by Appointment; UPS Shipment Service Available to Faculty
Anyone with a valid Syracuse University I.D, can safely borrow items from the physical circulating collections at Bird Library, Carnegie Library or King+King Architecture Library. Items are available for contactless pickup by appointment. In addition, Syracuse University faculty may also request to have items from the Libraries’ collections shipped via UPS to their residence.
To request an item:
- Find the item in the catalog. Once the item is identified, select “Request this item.”
- Complete the form and submit request. You will receive a confirmation email that your request is being processed.
- Once the item is available, you will receive another email with a link to schedule a pickup time of your choice between the hours of 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. For faculty only, you will also have an option to request UPS delivery of your item(s) to your residence.
- To pick up items, arrive at the the Waverly Avenue entrance of Bird Library at the scheduled time and call 315.443.5727 to notify staff of your arrival.
- Library staff will come to the door and ask to see your Syracuse University I.D. Please hold it up against the glass.
- Your bagged items will be placed on the pickup table in the vestibule. Staff will leave the area and then permit you to enter and take your item(s), which has been checked out to you.
- It is very important to arrive during the time you selected as your scheduled pickup time. If the item is not picked up within your 15-minute scheduled time, it will be removed from the pickup location and you will need to reschedule your pickup. This is to ensure social distancing requirements are met.
- Note that items will be sanitized prior to being bagged. Please do not clean or disinfect borrowed materials, as it may damage the item. Libraries staff follow University as well as national safety guidelines in preparing items for loan and upon their return.
- Items can be returned through book drops outside of Bird Library or Carnegie Library. For any questions regarding returns, please email email@example.com.
The safety of the campus community is the highest priority. Library staff is following public health guidelines from the University, New York State, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, which includes sanitizing and disinfecting borrowed materials.