Say “university,” and what often comes to mind are sprawling campuses, vast libraries and jam-packed sports stadiums. Yet in recent times, a rapidly increasing number of post-secondary students have been moving to a new landscape of online learning. The College…
Graduate Dean’s Award Recipients Announced
Eight graduate students have been selected to receive the Graduate Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Work. Award recipients represent a broad array of disciplines and were selected based on students’ outstanding accomplishments in research and creative work, as well as the quality and impact of a proposed presentation.
A total of 80 submissions were reviewed within broad disciplinary subgroupings by a panel of faculty members serving on the Graduate Faculty Council. Award recipients and presentation titles are:
- Maranie Staab, “Displacement and the Geography of Belonging,” Newhouse School, Multimedia, Photography and Design
- Zeynep Özakat, “What Happens After,” College of Arts and Sciences, Creative Writing
- Martin Gonzalez, “horCHATa: Mexican-based Student Organization as a Counter-space in Higher Education,” School of Education, Cultural Foundations of Education
- Sara Swenson, “Compassion without Pity: Buddhist Cancer Charities in Vietnam,” College of Arts and Sciences, Religion
- David Schwegman, “Do Street-Level Bureaucrats Discriminate against Racial and Sexual Minorities? Evidence from a Correspondence Study of Property Assessors,” Maxwell School, Public Administration
- Lisa LaRowe, “A Measure of Expectancies for Alcohol Analgesia: Preliminary Factor Analysis, Reliability, and Validity,” College of Arts and Sciences, Clinical Psychology
- Elyse Kleist, “Identification and Characterization of Historical Pigments with Spectroscopic Techniques,” College of Arts and Sciences, Chemistry
- Plansky Hoang, “Engineered 3-Dimensional Cardiac Organoids for Developmental Toxicity Testing,” College of Engineering and Computer Science, Chemical Engineering
All winning entrants will receive $500 and an award certificate. The Tuesday, March 24, presentation event has been postponed, and awardees will present their works on a future date.