Dear Students, Faculty, Staff and Families: Over the last several weeks, the University has provided a lot of information about return to campus, including related to move-in, testing, quarantining, campus life, etc. We recognize that all this information can be…
Classes Canceled on Monday, Dec. 2; Only Essential Services Personnel Should Report to Campus
Central New York is under a Winter Storm Warning, with forecast of icy conditions and significant snow accumulation today (Sunday, Dec. 1) and into tomorrow (Monday, Dec. 2). Syracuse University officials have determined to cancel on-site classes on Monday, Dec. 2. All online classes are scheduled as planned.
With many students and other members of the campus community returning to Syracuse from the holiday break—and road conditions in certain areas being poor and many airline flights and trains canceled—the University urges individuals to use caution and take whatever time is needed for travel. Safety first.
Limited status means faculty, as well as administrative and office staff, are not required to report to campus. Essential services employees (campus safety and emergency services, campus facilities, food services, residence hall and student activities staff and others deemed essential by their supervisor) are asked to report as normally scheduled. Staff members who are uncertain if they’re considered essential should contact their supervisor directly.
Though on-site classes are canceled, many essential student services will remain available, including the following:
- All residence hall dining centers will remain open.
- Bird Library, Carnegie Library and the King+King Architecture Library will close at 6 p.m. today; Bird Library will open at 8 a.m. tomorrow with limited services; please note: Carnegie Library and the King+King Architecture Library will be closed tomorrow.
- Services at the Barnes Center at The Arch will be operating on a limited schedule. Recreation: gym only available, closing at 5 p.m. today and open Monday from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; the pool, climbing wall and e-sports will be closed; please note: all satellite facilities are closed. Health and counseling: open Monday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; drop-in appointments only; regular appointments are canceled. Health promotion: Pet therapy and the MindSpa are closed.
The University will continue to monitor weather conditions. In the event of continued inclement weather and if additional schedule changes become necessary, the news will be announced via the University’s emergency broadcast notification system and will carry the notice SU WEATHER ALERT.
SU WEATHER ALERT information will be announced:
- via campus email;
- via text message;
- via a “crawl” on campus TV monitors and University websites;
- on Twitter: @SUCampus, @SyracuseUNews and @SyracuseDPS;
- on Facebook: @SUCampus, @SyracuseUniversityNews and @SyracuseDPS;
- on syr.edu and Syracuse.edu; and
- via Syracuse University public radio station WAER-FM/88.3 and other local media outlets.
Only Syracuse University’s SU News team is authorized to transmit to the news media announcements about the University’s operating status.
As always, campus community members should be aware and take precautions when severe weather is in the area. If community members experience weather conditions that could affect their safety when traveling to and from the University, they are encouraged to use their judgment as it relates to travel. Faculty and staff concerned about their safety should contact their department head or supervisor, respectively.
For information on winter weather preparedness, visit the Department of Public Safety website.