Dear Students and Families: As part of our planning for the Fall 2020 semester, the University is adjusting the move-in schedule for our incoming and returning students and their families. To protect the health and safety of all our campus…
Message from Parent and Family Services
Dear Parents and Families:
I am writing to provide an update.
Today, Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly announced that the University will remain open Friday. While classes are in session, all faculty and students have broad discretion in regard to attendance.
The rumored AirDrop of a racist manifesto to student devices at Bird Library remains under investigation by the Department of Public Safety, the Syracuse Police Department and the FBI. Law enforcement has not identified any student who directly received a threatening document via an “Air Drop.” While misinformation about this document on Monday created great concern, the allegation remains unsubstantiated. Police continue to urge anyone who received the AirDrop to reach out to them.
Nevertheless, the safety of our students is our highest priority. If a student does not feel safe going to class, they should not go to class. Students will not be penalized for missing classes, and these absences will be considered excused.
Please know that services and resources remain available to your student if they need help or assistance during this time:
- Students seeking counseling services may contact the Barnes Center at The Arch 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 315.443.8000. Drop-in sessions are also available 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Thursday and Friday.
- Additional services are provided by the Dean of Students Office, Monday through Friday, by calling 315.443.4357.
- Staff in the Center for International Services, Disability Cultural Center, LGBT Resource Center and Office of Multicultural Affairs remain available to see students.
- To receive support to report a bias-related incident, students can visit the STOP Bias website.
- For additional support and services, contact Hendricks Chapel at 315.443.2901.
The Parent and Family Services Office is also available to assist parents and family members by calling 315.443.1200.
Director, Parent and Family Services