A contractor is making pedestrian and accessible ramp improvements on the north side of the intersection at Skytop Road and East Colvin Street beginning today. Due to the work, sidewalk and accessible ramps on that side of the intersection will…
Student Communications Advisory Committee Begins Second Year of Advising Division of Marketing and Communications
The Student Communications Advisory Committee returned for its second year with its first semester meeting on Friday, Sept. 27. With six returning members, this 16-person group comprising of undergraduate, graduate and law students serves in an advisory capacity and provides counsel to Chief Marketing and Communications Officer Dara Royer as her team works to enhance communications and engagement with current students. The committee will also advise the division on how to best tell the University’s many stories in an authentic and compelling manner that resonates with today’s prospective students.
“This committee allows us to voice our thoughts in a professional manner and atmosphere,” Chair Mary Rahal ’19, a graduate student in the School of Information Studies, says. “It’s especially satisfying knowing that the feedback we share will contribute to making the University better as a whole. I am excited to have the opportunity to not only be a part of this committee, but to also provide guidance and leadership.”
In addition to Rahal, the members include:
- Kyliah Almeida ’21, College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Cafui Awasu ’20, Whitman School of Management
- Sadie Coleman* ’22, School of Information Studies
- Lauren Crimmins ’20, College of Arts and Sciences
- Kathleen Dempsey ’20, School of Arts and Sciences
- Haina Fnu, a graduate student in the Whitman School of Management
- Jewel Jackson ’21, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications
- Zachary Kubala ’21, College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Mackenzie Mertikas* ’20, College of Arts and Sciences
- Katie Quartaro*, a graduate student in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
- Jordan Rose ’21, College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Rikki Sargent*, a graduate student in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Chelsea Simpson ’21, College of Law
- Izmailia “Izzy” Sougoufara* ’20, College of Arts and Sciences
- Kevin Treadway* ’22, College of Arts and Sciences
- Tyler Youngman ’20, School of Information Studies
*Indicates returning members
“This committee continues to bring great energy and provide key insights on topics that are essential to enhancing how we tell our Syracuse University story,” Royer says. “Their voices represent many diverse audiences on our campus. I am grateful for so many returning students and welcome our new members.”
The 2018-19 committee provided valuable focus group insights and qualitative feedback on the University’s ongoing #BeOrange campaign. Student voices were also incorporated into University communications related to campus safety and student wellness.
The committee will meet twice a semester and on an ad hoc basis. The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 1.
Story by Student Communications Advisory Committee Chair Mary Rahal ’19.