Five years ago, Gracyn Doctor’s mother was killed in the shooting at Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston, South Carolina. This spring, Doctor G’20 emerged from the tragedy with a master’s degree from the Newhouse School, a new career path and…
Committee Members Appointed in Search for the Next Dean of the Newhouse School
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost Michele G. Wheatly today announced the members of a search committee for the next dean of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, following the death of Dean Lorraine Branham on April 2. Amy Falkner, senior associate dean for academic affairs and associate professor of advertising, is serving as interim dean.
The co-chairs of the search committee are Craig Boise, dean of the College of Law, and John Wildhack, director of athletics. Other members of the search committee are the following:
- Kelly Barnett, director of career development, Newhouse School
- Hub Brown, associate dean for research, creativity, international initiatives and diversity and associate professor of broadcast and digital journalism, Newhouse School
- Jonathan Chau, undergraduate student, Newhouse School
- Laura Canuelas-Torres, graduate student, Newhouse School
- Amy Falkner, interim dean of the Newhouse School and associate professor of advertising
- Hua Jiang, associate professor of public relations, Newhouse School
- Joel Kaplan, associate dean for professional graduate studies and professor of magazine, news and digital journalism, Newhouse School
- Lawrence Kramer ’72, Board of Trustees member, Newhouse Advisory Board member
- Jeffery Mangram, associate professor, School of Education
- Anne Osborne, professor of communications, Newhouse School
- Olivia Stomski, director of the Newhouse Sports Media Center, and professor of practice of television, radio and film, Newhouse School
- Mike Tirico ’88, Board of Trustees member, Newhouse Advisory Board member
“I appreciate the members of the newly appointed search committee for taking on such an important role—helping identify the next leader of the Newhouse School to follow the indelible work done by Dean Branham,” Wheatly says. “The world-class Newhouse School is such an incredible place and training ground for our future communicators, who play such an important role in our democracy and helping us understand the events and forces shaping our global society. I am certain the new dean, selected with the assistance of the search committee, will continue to guide the Newhouse School on its legacy of excellence.”
A process to select a national executive search firm to support the search committee is underway, and a firm is expected to be selected this month. Following the selection of the firm, the search committee will meet in July. The search committee chairs will provide regular updates to the Newhouse community.
About Syracuse University
Syracuse University is a private, international research university with distinctive academics, diversely unique offerings and an undeniable spirit. Located in the geographic heart of New York state, with a global footprint and nearly 150 years of history, Syracuse University offers a quintessential college experience, as well as innovative online learning environments. The scope of Syracuse University is a testament to its strengths. At Syracuse University, we offer a choice of more than 200 majors and 100 minors offered through 13 schools and colleges and 18 online degree programs. We have more than 15,000 undergraduates and 7,500 graduate students, more than a quarter of a million alumni in 160 countries and a student population from all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. For more information, please visit http://syracuse.edu.