Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications is now accepting nominations for the 14th annual Mirror Awards competition honoring excellence in media industry reporting. The deadline is Feb. 10, 2020. Anyone may nominate, and there is no fee to enter. Entries…
Call for Entries: 2019 Mirror Awards
The Newhouse School is now accepting nominations for the 13th annual Mirror Awards honoring excellence in media industry reporting. The deadline is Feb. 3, 2019. Anyone may nominate, and there is no fee to enter.
Entries may be submitted in the following categories:
- SPECIAL TOPIC CATEGORY FOR 2019: Best Story on Journalists or Journalism in Peril ($1,000 prize): A carefully researched print, digital or broadcast piece or series of pieces specifically addressing physical or other threats to journalists and their profession.
- SPECIAL TOPIC CATEGORY FOR 2019: Best Story on Social Media in the Crosshairs ($1,000 prize): A carefully researched print, digital or broadcast piece or series of pieces specifically addressing the scrutiny of the role of social media in democracy, politics and society.
- Best Single Article/Story ($1,000 prize): A carefully researched print, digital or broadcast piece of any length. Articles may include photos, videos, sidebars, audio and/or interactive elements in addition to the written piece.
- Best Profile ($1,000 prize): Any carefully researched and sourced print, broadcast or digital piece covering a single person or organization noteworthy in the media industry.
- Best Commentary ($1,000 prize): A print, broadcast or digital piece or series of pieces demonstrating the writer’s overall knowledge of the issues, analytic skills and unique voice.
- John M. Higgins Award for Best In-Depth/Enterprise Reporting ($5,000 prize): A single, in-depth investigative piece or a series of pieces—print, broadcast or digital—may be entered. Though not required, entries may cross platforms. Entries will be judged on the quality of the reporting and the importance of the story covered.
About the Mirror Awards
Established by the Newhouse School in 2006, the Mirror Awards are the most important awards for recognizing excellence in media industry reporting. They honor the reporters, editors and teams of writers who hold a mirror to their own industry for the public’s benefit.
The competition is open to anyone who conducts reporting, commentary or criticism of the media industries in a format intended for a mass audience. Eligible work includes print, broadcast and online editorial content focusing on the development or distribution of news and entertainment. All entries must have been published or broadcast between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2018.
Entries are evaluated based on three criteria: Excellence of craft; framing of the issue; and appropriateness for the intended audience. Winners are chosen by a group of journalists and journalism educators. An awards ceremony will be held in June 2019 in New York City.