Lynne Adrine, director of the D.C. Graduate Program and adjunct professor of broadcast and digital journalism in the Newhouse School, wrote an op-ed for Syracuse.com titled “After Capitol breach, it will be even harder to protest in Washington.” Adrine has…
Newhouse/iSchool Seminar Series Will Explore Social Media’s Influence on Politics
A new seminar series at Syracuse University will explore how social media is influencing the current political climate in the United States.
The series, Social Media & Democracy, is co-sponsored by the Newhouse School and the School of Information Studies (iSchool). It will comprise three panel discussions held over the course of the fall semester. Follow the discussion on Twitter using the hashtag #SUSocialDemocracy.
Tuesday, Sept. 25: Activism in the Digital Age
- Regina Luttrell, assistant professor of public relations in the Newhouse School
- Dwight DeWerth-Pallmeyer, associate professor of communication studies at Widener University
- Biko Mandela Gray, assistant professor of religion in SU’s College of Arts and Sciences
- Tia C. M. Tyree, professor of strategic, legal and management communications at Howard University
Tuesday, Oct. 16: Fake News, Language Analysis and Online Influence
- Lu Xiao, associate professor in the iSchool
- Rosanna Guadagno, director, Information Warfare Working Group, Stanford University
- Lillian Lee, professor of computer science and information science at Cornell University
- Victoria Rubin, professor of information and media studies at the University of Western Ontario
Wednesday, Nov. 14: How Social Media Impacted the November Midterms
- Jennifer Grygiel, assistant professor of communications in the Newhouse School
- Jessica Baldwin-Philippi, assistant professor of communication and media studies at Fordham University
- Arvind Diddi, professor of communications studies at SUNY Oswego
- Jon Keegan, senior research fellow in the Tow Center for Digital Journalism at Columbia University
All events will be held at 6 p.m. in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium, Newhouse 3.