Dear Students, We are looking forward to welcoming you back to campus in just a few short weeks. Our focus continues to be the health and safety of our campus community this fall semester. With that in mind, your academic…
Update on Student Disciplinary Process
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) Chief Bobby Maldonado announced yesterday that complaints had been filed against 18 individuals in connection with the Theta Tau fraternity conduct investigation. These individuals are alleged to have violated the Code of Student Conduct. Violations may include behavior that threatens the mental health or safety of anyone or any group; disorderly conduct, including lewd or obscene behavior; and harassment, including words or video that go beyond the bounds of free speech.
Now that those individuals have been referred to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR), the student disciplinary process is formally underway. This process entails the following steps:
1. The OSRR is meeting with involved students to discuss alleged charges.
2. During these individual meetings, the involved students can take one of two pathways:
a. Accept responsibility and receive assigned penalties (which may include suspension or even expulsion)
b. Decline to accept responsibility, at which point the case is referred to the University Conduct Board (UCB)
3. The UCB conducts a hearing.
4. The UCB then deliberates after all evidence is presented and determines responsibility and recommends appropriate penalties.
5. Following UCB recommendations, the complainant (in this case DPS) and the involved students have the option to appeal the UCB decision.
6. If either party appeals, the case is referred to the University Appeals Board (UAB).
7. The UAB will then review the case and make a final recommendation.
8. The final ruling is issued.
This process, as previously described, will move fairly and expeditiously. We expect this process to be completed in approximately two weeks.
Robert Hradsky, Ed.D.
Dean of Students