Student Living is excited to announce the launch of the Off-Campus Housing Search website. This newly available resource supports expediting the housing search process in addition to connecting Syracuse University students seeking roommates and subleasing opportunities. Exploring the Syracuse University…
Message from Chancellor Syverud: Actions Now Underway
Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff:
The recent video revealing offensive and unacceptable behavior by members of a Syracuse University fraternity is a painful wake-up call. It has prompted, rightfully, much outrage and concern across our campus. In the last 36 hours, I have listened to and heard from hundreds of you about how our community should best respond. So many of you have told me how much you care about this University and what it can be at its best: a place where people from all backgrounds care about each other and learn from each other.
As we move forward, I want to share the steps we are taking to meet our commitment of fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment. We intend to do the following:
• Continue suspension of all Theta Tau activities until further notice and engage the Theta Tau national office in conducting a comprehensive chapter review.
• Conduct a top to bottom review of all our Greek life policies, activities and culture, to be commenced this week and completed in time for us to revise all our practices for the start of the fall semester.
• Require all Greek and student organization leaders, members and advisors to participate in implicit bias training and inclusivity training.
• Provide mandatory training for all students, new and continuing, about the culture and expectations of our community.
• Conduct a review by the academic leadership and administrative leadership, including all deans, of appropriate training for faculty and staff, to commence this summer.
• Expand Residence Life training related to diversity and inclusion and implicit bias training.
• Enhance new student orientation and first-year forum and seminars to address diversity and inclusion, implicit bias, alcohol and drugs, and other related topics.
Additionally, the student judicial investigation of this matter commenced yesterday and has been pursued with vigor today, including interviews of almost all of the individuals directly involved. It is vital that this investigation, and the judicial process that follows, be fair and expeditious.
I will confer with a wide range of student, faculty and staff leaders tomorrow and over the weekend on these steps as well as on other concrete actions that are necessary for the good of our community. I will report on these promptly as options are considered and disclosed.
Chancellor Kent Syverud