To be clear: A meeting for 4 p.m. today was never agreed to, scheduled or confirmed. We do, however, hope to continue dialogue with our students, which is why we participated in a two-and-a-half-hour meeting last night with the student…
Department of Public Safety Offers Tips to Motorists, Pedestrians for Staying Safe on Campus Roads
Every day, thousands of motorists, including buses and construction vehicles and pedestrians operate in the University community. The Department of Public Safety (DPS) offers some tips for keeping safe on the roads, whether you’re driving or walking to your destination around campus.
If you’re driving, familiarize yourself with all local and state vehicle and traffic regulations, and remember some important tips:
- Drive at safe speeds on campus. The posted campus speed limit is 15 mph.
- Yield the right of way to pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- Be alert for unpredictability; while it is not safe to do so, sometimes pedestrians cross at non-crosswalk locations.
- Pay particular attention when approaching buses unloading passengers; pedestrians often cross in front of the bus, particularly at a crosswalk.
- When traveling in hours of darkness, a head and tail light are required by law.
As a pedestrian, take care as you maneuver around campus and consider these tips to keep safe:
- Avoid wearing earbuds or headphones. You may not be able to hear a car approaching or another pedestrian’s warning shout.
- Wait for the walk signal. Do not think you can make it across the street before a car can.
- Be proactive by wearing light or reflective clothing during low-light situations. Stay out of the driver’s blind spot.
- Know how to contact the DPS if something should happen to you, or if you witness an accident on campus; call DPS right away at 315.443.2224 or use the LiveSafe app to report any incidents.
- Use the campus shuttle system. The Centro buses are receiving a new look to help make them easily identifiable. You will start to see this change over the course of the next few weeks. This exclusive new Syracuse University look is intended to clearly identify campus shuttles for your safety and enhanced student experience.