Earlier this year, at the Adirondack Bank Center in Utica, New York, Alpha North Esports and Entertainment hosted the “Battle of the Colleges” esports tournament. Syracuse University’s Rocket League team competed in the tournament and had reached the third-place match….
Inaugural Forever Orange Week Showcases the Syracuse Bond
Forever Orange Week highlights the lifetime bond between Syracuse University, its students and its more than 241,000 alumni around the world, which forms the moment a student arrives on campus. This new initiative, hosted by the Forever Orange Student Alumni Council, features an array of activities that focus on that strong connection, while highlighting the ways students can be leaders who foster Orange pride on campus.
“Forever Orange Week is an opportunity to reflect and celebrate what it means to be a part of the Syracuse University community,” says Kennedy Patlan ’18, a member of the Forever Orange Student Alumni Council. “As a second semester senior, this week is really reflective for me and is a moment for me to look back, thank those who paved the way and pay it forward.”
Patlan reflects back on the many connections she’s made while at Syracuse. “I have made connections with some really great professors who have served as mentors and advocates through my time here,” she says. “I’ve made friends that I know will last a lifetime—I know I’ll have many places to visit and see as my friends are going all over the world. It’s been such an amazing and special four years.”
Members of the Forever Orange Student Alumni Council and the entire campus community kicked off Forever Orange Week with a celebration of the University’s 148th birthday on March 24, National Orange Day.
“We’re excited to launch the first-ever Forever Orange Week! All of our activities will showcase the power of the alumni network and how important it is to get involved and give back,” says Megan DiDomenico, assistant director of young alumni and student engagement with the Office of Alumni Engagement. “The Forever Orange Student Alumni Council, our dedicated group of student ambassadors, is thrilled to share some of these new programs to show students what it truly means to be Forever Orange.”
For Eliza Hsu Chen ’18, also a council member, Forever Orange Week highlights what she has gained during her time at Syracuse and what she will always carry with her.
“Forever Orange Week is a reminder of how I will always be part of the Orange family and that connection will last forever,” she says. “I’ve learned a lot of valuable skills that will help me in my future career and created friendships at my time at Syracuse University that will stick with me throughout my life.”
The week’s events are the following:
- To show their gratitude toward Syracuse University donors who make their time on campus possible, current students will say thank you with a postcard or a photo during “Taco ’Bout Saying Thank You,” from 11 a.m.–4p.m. today in Schine 304 ABC. This event, featuring tacos, games, giveaways and a visit from Otto, is free for all students. RSVPs are required.
- Class Act Day is Tuesday, March 27, and represents an opportunity for seniors to make a difference for future generations of SU students while leaving a lasting legacy on campus. Alumni are invited to give back to the part of SU they love the most by making a gift to the Class of 2018 Giving Campaign.
- Are you a member of the Class of 2018 who recently studied abroad? A special Syracuse Abroad senior reception will be held from 6-8 p.m. March 27 at the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center. Enjoy free food while sharing memories with classmates. Registration is required.
- On Wednesday, March 28, seniors can learn how to stay involved with SU following graduation during a free event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center. No registration is required.
- Later that evening, the annual “Senior Sip” occurs from 6-8 p.m. at Goldstein. Seniors are invited to enjoy a night of wine tasting and networking advice. Attendees must be 21 years or older. The cost is $5, and the dress code is business casual. Space is limited, so register now to secure your spot.
- Forever Orange Week culminates with the Orange Circle Award ceremony on Thursday, March 29. The event honors Syracuse students, faculty, staff and alumni who go above and beyond and better society through their extraordinary acts. The 2018 winners are alumnus Rob Long ’12, G’14 and the student groups Nanhi Kali, Uplifting Athletes and the Shaped Clay Society. They will be honored at 5 p.m. in Rooms 304 ABC of the Schine Student Center. The award ceremony is free to all students, faculty and staff. Guests are encouraged to register online.
No matter where you are, you can share how you’re celebrating Forever Orange Week on social media using #4EverOrange.