Say “university,” and what often comes to mind are sprawling campuses, vast libraries and jam-packed sports stadiums. Yet in recent times, a rapidly increasing number of post-secondary students have been moving to a new landscape of online learning. The College…
Orange After Dark Releases Fall Schedule
Orange After Dark (OAD), the late-night entertainment program through the Office of Student Activities, releases its fall 2017 schedule of events. Ranging from paint nights to outdoor laser tag, there are 24 OAD events throughout the fall 2017 semester open to students.
OAD has included students on its programming board since fall 2016. Simon Wechsler, a senior in the School of Education, has been on the board since its start and volunteered at events since his first year on campus. “OAD is by far my favorite program and one of my favorite aspects about SU. The programs are always amazing and every semester OAD tries to outdo itself and make the line-ups and events even more special,” says Wechsler. “OAD events really do hit all audiences here at SU. There are movie events for those who enjoy the cinema, more physical events like Black Light Dodgeball and Get Air! that are great for athletic and less athletic people alike, and there are events like escape rooms that anyone can enjoy.”
Since 2010, OAD has offered late-night entertainment to students at little to no cost. This year, old favorites such as cosmic bowling, Dave and Busters and Fright Night at the Fair will be returning. The movie premiere of “Thor: Ragnarok” at Destiny, USA and a Grit ’N Wit obstacle course on the Quad are two additions to the schedule of events this year.
“We’re excited to bring another fun-filled semester of events to students this fall. Orange After Dark is a great way for both new and returning students to connect with each other in a casual social setting,” says Courtney Jones, associate director in the Office of Student Activities.
With a jam-packed event schedule and ever-growing popularity, it is expected that the OAD events will continue selling out. Therefore, it is encouraged to check out the OAD website to find out more about ticketing. Some events require tickets, while some do not; some events are free, some have a $3 fee.
“The programming is so amazing to me because it is all things that we as college students enjoy when we are focused on cost,” says Wechsler. “Off-campus events are $3 and this always gets students transportation to the event and usually food, and if it’s on campus then it’s free and always fun.”
In addition to the list of fall events, OAD will continue its popular late night movie viewings on Friday and Saturday nights. Movies are shown in Gifford Auditorium in Huntington Beard Crouse at 11 p.m. and are shown with open captions. Free snacks are provided. The fall schedule of late night movies can be found on the Late Night Movies website.
Moreover, OAD continues its partnership with Recreation Services to host Late Night at the Gym from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. Wednesday to Saturday nights at Archbold and Flanagan gyms, as well as Tennity Ice Pavilion. In addition to the regular recreational opportunities, Late Night at the Gym offers organized activities. The fall schedule of activities can be found on the Late Night at the Gym website.
“There are so many reasons why students choose to come to OAD events, from the community atmosphere, the memories they create, or the fun they’re having,” says Jones. “We’d love to make every undergrad on campus a repeat attendee. We’re looking forward to seeing lots of new and familiar faces at our events this year!”
Listed below is the OAD schedule of events for fall 2017:
- “The Hitman’s Bodyguard” movie showing, Friday, Sept. 1, 10:30 p.m. (Regal Cinemas)
- Laser Tag, Saturday, Sept. 2, 8 p.m. (Goldstein Auditorium)
- Grit ‘N Wit Obstacle Course, Sunday, Sept. 3, 10 p.m. (Quad)
- Adam Grabowski, comedian, Friday, Sept. 8, 10:30 p.m. (Schine Underground)
- Cosmic Bowling, Saturday, Sept. 9, 10:30 p.m. (Strike ‘N Spare Lanes)
- Black Light Dodgeball, Friday, Sept. 15, 10 p.m. (Flanagan Gym)
- Mini Golf and Outdoor Laser Tag, Saturday, Sept. 16, 9:30 p.m. (Big Don’s Wild River)
- Murder Mystery Dinner, Friday, Sept. 22, 10 p.m. (Schine Underground)
- Get Air! Trampoline Park, Saturday, Sept. 23, 10 p.m.
- Survey Says Game Show, Friday, Sept. 29, 10 p.m. (Schine Underground)
- Grocery Bingo, Saturday, Sept. 30, 10 p.m. (Schine 304)
- Family Weekend Trivia, Saturday, Oct. 14, 7:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. (Goldstein Auditorium)
- Upright Citizens Brigade Tour Co., Friday, Oct. 20, 10 p.m. (Schine Underground)
- Escape the Room, Saturday, Oct. 21, 8 p.m., 9 p.m. 10 p.m., 11 p.m. (126 Schine)
- “Logan” movie screening, Friday, Oct. 27, 10 p.m. (Schine 304)
- Fright Night at the Fair, Saturday, Oct. 28, 10:30 p.m. (NYS Fairgrounds)
- “Thor: Ragnarok” movie premiere, Friday, Nov. 3, 10:30 p.m. (Regal Cinemas)
- Paint Night, Saturday, Nov. 4, 10 p.m. (Sheraton Hotel Regency Ballroom)
- Glow Skate, Friday, Nov. 10, 9 p.m. (Tennity Ice Pavilion)
- Dave & Buster’s, Thursday, Nov. 16, 10:30 p.m. (Destiny, USA)
- Grocery Bingo, Friday, Dec. 1, 10 p.m. (Schine 304)
- PJ Pinterest Party, Saturday, Dec. 2, 10 p.m. (Schine 304)
- Pancake Breakfast “Stressbuster,” Monday, Dec. 11, 10 p.m. (Schine Dining)