The co-authors of “Forever Orange,” the commemorative book highlighting 150 years of Syracuse University history, will be signing copies of the book later this month. Authors Scott Pitoniak ’77, a nationally honored columnist and best-selling author, and Rick Burton ’80,…
Human Resources Creates Benefits Advisory Council to Advance One University Goals
Syracuse University today announced the members of the University’s new Benefits Advisory Council. Born out of conversations with faculty and staff over the last year, including campus community members attending the chief human resources officer’s open office hours, the council is part of University’s commitment to foster institution-wide excellence, provide employees with a voice in benefits discussions across the entire organization, and support progress of the Academic Strategic Plan’s theme of One University.
Andrew R. Gordon, senior vice president and chief human resources officer will chair the committee and engage the group in collaborative discussions about being recognized as a model employer and boosting the University’s capacity to attract and retain outstanding faculty and staff.
The goals of the Benefits Advisory Council are to undertake an in depth analysis of at least two benefits areas this academic year and provide meaningful examination and input on any potential enhancements or refinements to the University’s existing benefits plans.
“Syracuse University is a leading employer with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package,” says Gordon. “To remain ahead of the curve and meet employees’ professional needs, we need to keep listening to our employees, examine the marketplace and provide meaningful benefits. Our goal is be open and transparent about the delivery of benefits and to continue to thoughtfully consider each of the total rewards for working at Syracuse.”
Members of the council, which includes faculty, staff and students, are:
- Stephen Block, assistant dean for administration, iSchool
- Nina Brown, assistant professor, Newhouse School
- Fiona Chew, professor, Newhouse School
- Thomas Dennison, professor of practice, Maxwell School
- Andrew R. Gordon, senior vice president and chief human resources officer (Chair)
- Rajesh Kumar, president, graduate student organization
- Eileen Lantier, senior associate dean & associate professor, Falk College
- Rebecca Mitchell, reconciliation audit coordinator
- Chuck Morris, department chair & professor, College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Brian O’Connor, supervisor, Physical Plant
- Craig Powers, machine repair technician, Physical Plant
- Melissa Rashford, administrative specialist for enrollment management
- Yudaisy Salomon Sargenton, administrative secretary, College of Arts & Sciences
- Derek Seward, associate professor, School of Education
- Amy Sloane-Garris, executive director of graduate programs
The council first met on Oc. 21 and will now meet monthly to engage in collaborative discussions on the University’s benefits offerings.