Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications is now accepting nominations for the 14th annual Mirror Awards competition honoring excellence in media industry reporting. The deadline is Feb. 10, 2020. Anyone may nominate, and there is no fee to enter. Entries…
Newhouse Sports Media Center to Host ‘Sports Matters’ Symposium Feb. 24
The Newhouse Sports Media Center will host “Sports Matters,” a daylong symposium examining current issues in sports media on Wednesday, Feb. 24, in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium in Newhouse 3. Follow on Twitter at #SportsMatters.
9:15 a.m. The Face of the Future in Sports Media—who will it be and how will it be done?
- Robert Lipsyte, sports writer, columnist, author and former ESPN ombudsman;
- Jodi Logsdon ’03, news director and coordinating producer, CBS Sports;
- Raul Martinez G’04, sports reporter/anchor, KDVR Fox Denver; and
- Robert Ford ’01, radio play-by-play announcer, Houston Astros.
- Branham will moderate.
1 p.m. Covering Women’s Sports—why is it important and how should it be done?
- Vera Jones ’88, G’91, analyst, Big Ten Network;
- Chris Hannan ’95, executive vice president of communications and integration, Fox Sports;
- Josh Barnett ’94, director of content, USA Today Sports; and
- Laurie Orlando ’87, senior vice president of talent strategy, CBS News.
- Anne Osborne, associate professor of communications in the Newhouse School, will moderate.
2:30 p.m. Conflicts: Wearing Multiple Hats—how do you tell a reporter and analyst from a commentator from a spokesperson, and does it matter?
- Chris Broussard, analyst and sports writer, ESPN and ABC;
- Jim Axelrod, anchor and correspondent, CBS News/60 Minutes Sports;
- Kelly Saco ’12, in-game reporter, Miami Marlins and University of Miami; and
- Ron Wechsler G’93, senior vice president for original programming and development, NBC Sports Group.
- Joel Kaplan, associate dean in the Newhouse School, will moderate.
The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact John Nicholson at 315-443-4065 or email@example.com.