Corri Zoli, associate teaching professor in the College of Law and director of research for the Institute for Security Policy and Law, and Brian Holmes, dean of the Oettinger School of Science and Technology Intelligence at the National Intelligence University…
Members Appointed to Maxwell, VPA Dean Search Committees
Members of two search committees have been appointed to identify candidates to succeed the deans of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs and the College of Visual and Performing Arts. The committees will be seeking successors to Dean James Steinberg of the Maxwell School and Dean Ann Clarke of VPA. Both deans had previously announced their intent to step down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year.
The Maxwell search committee will be led by David Van Slyke, associate dean and chair of the Department of Public Administration and International Affairs and the Louis A. Bantle Chair in Business and Government Policy at the Maxwell School.
The VPA committee will be chaired by Charles E. Morris III, professor and chair of the Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies and an affiliated professor with the LGBT Studies Program.
Committee members for both searches include faculty, students, administrators, trustees and representatives of the schools’ advisory groups.
Maxwell Search Committee Members
In addition to Van Slyke, members of the Maxwell dean search committee are:
- Carol Faulkner, professor, history
- Madeleine Hamlin, graduate student, geography
- William C. Horrace, professor and chair, economics
- Azra Hromadzic, assistant professor, anthropology
- Thomas Moylan Keck, Michael O. Sawyer Chair of Constitutional Law and Politics, associate professor, political science
- Steven J. Lux, director, Executive Education Program, Maxwell School
- Howard Phanstiel, University Trustee
- Karin Ruhlandt, dean, College of Arts and Sciences
- Rebecca Lynn Schewe, assistant professor, sociology
- Amy Schwartz, professor of economics and public administration and international affairs, Daniel Patrick Moynihan Professor of Public Affairs
- Aysha Seedat, senior, president of the Student Association
- Richard Thompson, University Trustee
- James Willie, member, Maxwell Advisory Board
- Jamie L. Winders, associate professor, chair, and O’Hanley Faculty Scholar, geography
“This is an exceptional committee that represents the depth, breadth and excellent reputation of faculty scholars, staff and students,” says Van Slyke. “And the committee highlights the very best that Maxwell has to offer to prospective dean candidates regarding our bright and optimistic future as a school and leader in the social sciences and public affairs.”
The global executive search consulting firm Spencer Stuart has been retained to support the search effort.
Steinberg was appointed dean of the Maxwell School in 2011. Upon stepping down, he will continue to teach at the school in his role as University Professor of social science, international affairs and law.
VPA Search Committee Members
Serving along with Morris on the VPA search committee are:
- Sang-Mi Borneman, graduate student, music education
- Yvonne E. Buchanan, associate professor, art
- Markova Casseus, senior, communication and rhetorical studies major
- Felix E. Cochren, associate professor, theater design and technology
- Lauren Cramer, University Trustee
- James W.R. Fathers, professor, industrial and interaction design; director, School of Design; Iris Magidson Endowed Chair of Design Leadership
- Christopher Fox, assistant dean, information technology, VPA
- Dennis Gilbert, member, VPA Advisory Council
- Rachel Carey Hall, associate professor, communication and rhetorical studies
- Heath A. Hanlin, associate professor; department chair, transmedia; program coordinator, computer art and animation
- Lucinda K. Havenhand, associate professor, environmental and interior design; associate dean, research and graduate studies
- Laura Heyman, associate professor, Department of Transmedia; program coordinator, art photography
- Stephanie L. James, director, School of Art; Doris E. Klein Endowed Professor of Art
- Joanna Masingila, dean and professor, School of Education
- Lisa Steele, assistant director, Bandier Program
- Martha L. Sutter, interim director, Setnor School of Music
- John F. Warren, associate professor, applied music and performance (conducting); director, choral activities
- Peter Yenawine, member, VPA Advisory Council
- Ralph Zito, professor and department chair, drama
“I feel fortunate to be joined in this vital search committee work by a remarkably talented and dedicated group of people who care deeply about the future of VPA,” says Morris. “These delegates reflect a careful selection process that prioritized representation, diversity and commitment in the interest of launching a successful search with the confidence and encouragement of the entire VPA community. We are eager to get to work.”
Global management consulting firm Korn Ferry has been selected to assist with the search effort.
Clarke, who has served as VPA’s dean since 2008, will take a one-year research leave at the end of the academic year and return to the faculty in the fall of 2017.