Members of the University community are invited to suggest a speaker for the 2019 Commencement. The speaker is chosen through an annual selection process that starts when students, staff, faculty, alumni and others in the community offer nominees via the…
CRS Students Network with Alumni in NYC
Fourteen students in the College of Visual and Performing Arts’ (VPA) Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies (CRS) traveled to New York City in April to meet with Syracuse University alumni as part of Engaging Careers NYC, a two-day experience for CRS undergraduates that hones and develops their networking skills.
Each day of Engaging Careers is designed as a career-focused experience that allows the students to engage in constructive dialogue with alumni in diverse professions at various career stages. Students discuss practical and creative applications of the communication industry with alumni mentors as well as strategies and tools for success in securing opportunities.
Highlights of the trip included:
- a breakfast meeting and tour at LinkedIn with Naysa Mishler ’05 (Newhouse), Annie Stankevich ‘09 (SOM), Laura Nivoccia ’94 (SOM) and Keegan Slattery ’13 (iSchool/SOM);
- a lecture and luncheon with CRS alumnus David Greenberg ’86, president of Greenberg Capital, at the Fisher Center;
- a public relations workshop with CRS alumna Jennifer Vasquez ’09 of JCV Consulting at Lubin House;
- a CRS alumni networking session at Lubin House with alumni mentors Algerson Andre ’10, Cory Ferreira ’09, Amanda Fishman ’11, Terron Moore ’10, Victoria (Tori) Morini ’14, Ben Poltarak ’07, Alex Redlus ’10, Evin Robinson ’12 G ’14 and Tali Simon ‘13, followed by an alumni reception; and
- a VIP visit and tour with Tori Morini ’14 on the set of ABC’s “Good Morning America.”
To learn more about the trip, read the post on VPA’s tumblr.