This October, the campus community is invited to celebrate LGBTQ+ History Month. The University’s official kickoff is Monday, Oct. 3, in Schine Student Center 304 from 4 to 6 p.m. The LGBTQ Resource Center, along with students and campus partners,…
Comment Period for University Vision and Mission Statements Extended
Following conversations he’s been having with students this past week, Chancellor Kent Syverud announced today he is opening up an additional one-month period to invite feedback from the campus community on the University’s proposed Vision and Mission statements. A comment period previously was offered in September, after which the original proposed statements were revised to incorporate community feedback before being sent to the Board of Trustees for approval.
The new feedback period follows outreach to the campus community in September and October that included campus-wide emails, consultation with student government bodies and two open fora.
Here are the latest iterations of the proposed Vision and Mission statements, as revised by the Strategic Plan Steering Committee in October.
Syracuse University aspires to be a pre-eminent student-focused research university, preparing engaged citizens and entrepreneurial leaders for a changing global society.
As a university large enough to attract and engage the best scholars in the world, yet small enough to support a personalized and academically rigorous student experience, Syracuse University faculty and staff support student success by:
• Encouraging global study, experiential learning, interdisciplinary scholarship and entrepreneurial endeavors;
• Integrating liberal arts education with professional studies;
• Fostering a richly diverse and inclusive learning community;
• Promoting a culture of risk-taking and discovery;
• Supporting faculty-student collaboration in creative activity and research that address emerging opportunities and societal needs; and
• Maintaining pride in our history as a place of opportunity, innovation and impact.
The formulation of new Vision and Mission statements is part of the University’s Strategic Plan component of Fast Forward Syracuse. The latest iterations are posted on the dedicated Fast Forward website at http://fastforward.syr.edu. To provide feedback during the extended open period, go the website and click on “share an idea.”