We want to know how you experience Syracuse University. It could be an amazing night view of campus, a cool class project or a beautiful day on the Einhorn Family Walk. Take a photo and share it with us. We…
Habitat for Humanity Raising the Roof and Awareness
Build a shack. Increase awareness. Raise funds for affordable housing.
The annual fall Shack-A-Thon draws students and student organizations together for three days and two nights on the Quad to better understand the lack of affordable housing in the community and across the country—and help make home ownership an affordable reality for families.
Sponsored by the Syracuse University and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry Chapter of Habitat for Humanity, the fundraiser will be held Wednesday, Sept. 24, through Friday, Sept. 26, with various events over the three days.
Student organizations from across the campus sponsor and build wooden shacks and live in them for three days. Organizations make a donation to benefit SU/ESF Habitat for Humanity. All money raised goes toward building affordable houses in the community.
The Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF chapter works with students and the local Syracuse City affiliate to help eliminate sub-standard housing in Syracuse as well as across the country during the chapter’s alternative spring break trips.
During the three-day event, the student organizations will be rewarded with points based on different criteria, such as Best Decorated Shack, Most Spirit, Most Shack Visitors, Most Money Raised and winners of different events.
On Friday, Sept. 26, an award ceremony will be held from noon to 1 p.m. to recognize the team with the most points.
The week’s other events are the following:
- Penny Wars—Tables will be set up in the Schine Student Center Monday, Sept. 22, through Friday, Sept. 26, between 11 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for people to donate money to go toward Habitat for Humanity and help the organizations involved in Shack-A-Thon. Organizations who can raise the most money will earn points.
- Opening Ceremony—The event officially kicks off on the Quad Wednesday, Sept. 24, with ceremonies taking place 6-7:30 p.m.
- Hug a Puppy—Puppies and dogs from Paws of CNY will be on the Quad Thursday, Sept. 25, from noon-3 p.m. for playtime.
- Date Auction—Students can join in the fun and bid on a date night with other students. The event will be Thursday, Sept. 25, from 7-8:30 p.m. in Grant Auditorium. Members of the various organizations will take part and any student can participate.
- Movie on the Quad—A movie screening of “The Fault in Our Stars,” presented by University Union, will be held on the Quad on Sept. 25 starting at 8 p.m.
For more information about Shack-A-Thon or to sponsor a shack, contact Marvi Najam at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit https://www.facebook.com/HabitatForHumanitySyracuseUniversity for more information about the chapter.