Like many, George Canino’s path to service began with his family. His father, a retired member of the U.S. Air Force, sparked his interest in the military at a young age. Canino’s father was stationed in Madrid, Spain, while in…
Female Veterans with Entrepreneurial Passion: Registration Deadline for V-WISE Chicago is March 27
Early registration discount available for those who register before March 1
Veteran Women Igniting the Spirit of Entrepreneurship (V-WISE), operated by the Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University, will offer its sixth conference in Chicago May 3-5. The entrepreneurial training program is available to female veterans of all service eras and branches, military spouses and transitioning active duty service members with a passion for and interest in starting or growing a small business. The application and registration deadline is March 27.
The V-WISE program, founded in 2010, was designed by Syracuse University in cooperation with the U.S. Small Business Administration. V-WISE enables female veterans to find their passion and learn business-savvy skills in order to turn their ideas or businesses into growth ventures. The program integrates leadership, integrity, focus and drive—qualities inherent in female veterans—into a premier education and self-employment training program taught by accomplished entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship educators through a three-phase format:
- Phase 1: What’s First? is a 15-day online, self-study course (a prerequisite to Phase 2) focusing on the basic skills of entrepreneurship and the language of business.
- Phase 2: Ready, Set, Go! is a three-day conference where participants are exposed to accomplished entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship educators from across the country, consisting of a growth track tailored to those already in business and a startup track focused on potential future entrepreneurs focused on business planning, marketing, accounting and finance, operations and production, human resources and work life balance.
- Phase 3: Keep Moving is post-program support providing a comprehensive listing of community-level resources covering the Small Business Administration, Small Business Development Centers, Women’s Business Centers, Veterans Business Outreach Centers, and Service Corps of Retired Executives offices.
Admission for V-WISE programs, offered in cities across the country, is on a rolling basis. Early application is highly recommended. The deadline for V-WISE Chicago is March 27.
All hotel and conference fees for the program are covered through the support of the SBA. Accepted participants are responsible for the following expenses:
- one-time $75 registration fee;
- transportation to and from the on-site conference;
- associated parking fees while at the conference; and
- dinner on the second evening of the conference.
There is an early bird special registration fee of $50 for anyone who registers for the Chicago offering prior to March 1. To apply, visit whitman.syr.edu/vwise.
For information on the V-WISE application process, contact IVMF admissions coordinator Katherine Frontino at firstname.lastname@example.org or 315-443-8791.
For questions regarding the V-WISE program, contact program manager Meghan Florkowski at email@example.com or 315-443-4629 or 315-877-2264.