Announced earlier this month, faculty and staff can purchase $5 tickets to the Friday, Sept. 24, football game in appreciation of all their hard work on behalf of the University. With kickoff at 8 p.m., faculty and staff and their…
How to get involved in Sandy relief efforts
The following message was sent to the SU community earlier today.
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
Over the past several days, the SU community has had the people of the Tri-State area in our hearts and minds as they cope with the devastating aftereffects of Hurricane Sandy. While we empathize with victims of all natural disasters, our connection to this tragedy is incredibly close, given that the areas impacted are home to many of our students, their families, and SU alumni, friends and colleagues.
First, as we mentioned in a message last week, having family or friends directly in need is difficult, and we all cope with stress differently. There are a number of resources available should students, faculty or staff need emotional support or assistance. This includes the Counseling Center (443-4715), Hendricks Chapel (443-2901) and the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (443-1087).
Today, we turn our attention to how the SU community can come together to provide support and assistance to those in need in the New York City metro area, New Jersey and Connecticut. Here is what SU is doing to help, and how you can take action to assist:
- The University is sending a truck with bottled water, ready-to-eat food and sweatshirts to the region to immediately offer residents some much-needed supplies.
- Scheduled several months ago, this Saturday during SU’s noon football game vs. Louisville, is the annual “Dome Donation Day.” This event at the Dome marks the official start of the Salvation Army’s Red Kettle Campaign. The Salvation Army, SU and the CXtec and TERACAI companies will join forces to collect food and monetary donations from fans as they enter the Carrier Dome. The proceeds collected will benefit victims of Hurricane Sandy and also support the Salvation Army’s annual holiday assistance campaign.
- In addition, the University is planning for a similar donation collection effort to benefit Hurricane Sandy relief efforts at an upcoming men’s basketball game at the Dome.
- One very good way to immediately assist is through a monetary donation via relief organizations, which are sending supplies and staff to the region to support relief efforts. To donate via the American Red Cross, call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10. To donate via the Salvation Army, call 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769) or text the word STORM to 80888 to donate $10.
- In addition, Hendricks Chapel will serve as a drop-off point for those who wish to contribute. Checks made out to the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army or a relief organization of the donor’s choice may be dropped off at the Dean’s Office on the lower level of Hendricks Chapel during regular business hours, 8:30 a.m.to 5 p.m. weekdays. The chapel may be reached at 315-443-2901.
- Members from our community have already expressed interest in providing ongoing longer-term fundraising and/or support for the relief efforts. Individual students and student groups, and faculty and staff interested in responding to the crisis can call the Office of Student Activities at 315-443-2718.
On behalf of the entire SU community, our thoughts and prayers are with all of the people in the Tri-State region and beyond affected by this tragedy.
Chancellor Nancy Cantor