Some of the earliest memories of joining the Orange family begin the day new students move onto campus. During Syracuse Welcome 2021, faculty and staff are invited to join the Orientation Leaders, Goon Squad and the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs (FYTP) in continuing the kick-off tradition of greeting and moving new students into their residence halls. A variety of volunteer times…
IVMF hosts Conference on Engaging Community Support for Veterans in cooperation with Congresswoman Buerkle
The Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University (IVMF), in cooperation with Congresswoman Ann Marie Buerkle, will host the Conference on Engaging Community Support for Veterans Friday, April 20, at the OnCenter, 800 S. State St., Syracuse.
The conference presents an opportunity to harness the power of community in supporting, engaging and respecting the nation’s veterans and their families. Topics of discussion include health and wellness, employment and education.
Members of the SU community are invited to attend the event. An RSVP is required by noon on Thursday, April 19, to email@example.com. Registration for the event begins on Friday, April 20, at 7:15 a.m., in front of the Wall of Honor, directly inside of the OnCenter’s Harrison Street entrance. The conference will be held in Ballroom East of the venue.
The conference will open with convening remarks by:
- Mike Haynie, executive director and founder, Institute for Veterans and Military Families, Syracuse University
- Congresswoman Ann Marie Buerkle, chairperson of the Subcommittee on Health, House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs
- Congressman Jeff Miller, chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs
- Lt. Colonel MaryJo Timpano, Hancock Field Joint Health and Wellness Center
- Abigail Gewirtz, University of Minnesota
- Lauren Love, Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Col. Eric Olsen, chaplain, U.S. Army National Guard
Panel Discussion Two: Economic Engagement, Employment and Entrepreneurship
- Maureen Casey, JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Tony Baird, Tony Baird Electronics Inc.
- Col. James D. McDonough Jr. (U.S. Army, Ret.), New York State Health Foundation
- Laura Stradley, Veterans Outreach Center Inc.
Panel Discussion Three: Education: Post-Secondary and Vocational
- Mark Erwin, student veteran, Syracuse University
- Bea González, dean, University College, Syracuse University
- Paul Holzwarth, Onondaga Community College
- Corri Zoli, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University
For more information on the conference, contact Meghan Florkowski at the IVMF, 315-443-4629 or firstname.lastname@example.org.